From: Marin David Condic <nobody@noplace.com>
Subject: Re: [Ada] implement many new Ada 2005 features
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:35:04 GMT
Date: 2005-02-17T12:35:04+00:00	[thread overview]

Yeah, maybe. Unless the course has a title like "Understanding the Ada
Programming Language From A Compiler Theory Perspective..." I'm aware of
a number of compiler courses that at one time or another had students
implementing mini-Ada compilers. (Probably because the syntax is pretty
clean for parsing purposes.)

But the point wasn't to design a compiler theory class. It was to
observe that if someone wants to go off and try implementing an Ada
compiler for purposes of education or to try out some theories or simply
because they find compiler implementation an interesting hobby - I say
don't discourage them. It's a learning exercise that will change them -
if not the world. I qualified the comment that if the goal was to
supplant something like Gnat, then its tilting at windmills and not
really likely to succeed. The effort might be better spent working on
some interesting new direction for Gnat to go in. (Porting to new
hardware, adding a new capability, etc.)

MDC

Robert A Duff wrote:

> An Ada compiler is probably not the best choice for a college course. ;-)
>
> - Bob

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm