From: "Robert I. Eachus" <rieachus@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: No call for Ada (was Re: Announcing new scripting/prototyping language)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 02:07:03 -0500
Date: 2004-02-10T02:07:03-05:00	[thread overview]

Richard Riehle wrote:

> Language advocacy can be an entertaining activity on a cold winter's
> evening, but even the most ardent enthusiasts for one language or another
> will eventually admit that languages are nothing more than tools for
> composing computer programs.   The good craftsperson selects the
> appropriate tool for the job at hand.

Not really.  Programming languages are also tools for thinking.  And
different languages favor different ways of thinking.  This effect can
also be seen in spoken languages you can't understand the French and the
people of Quebec unless you can think in French.  (I am the first to
admit I can't.  I can try, but I find the exercise very strenuous.  I
need to literally accept a foreign viewpoint to do it well and I am
unwilling to do so.  The cultural baggage with Arabic and Chinese is
larger that that which comes with French, but it isn't as imperialistic.

Japanese on the other hand, is much more demanding than French,  but in
another sense it is not as hard.  Japanese requires you to act in
certain ways, but it doesn't try as hard to impose its worldview on you.
  However, the worldview that comes with Japanese is pretty nasty.
Note, this does not say that Japanese are nasty. However, I have found
that there is a huge difference in world view between those Japanese who
speak English and those who don't, I don't know if this holds true for
those who speak only another Asian as opposed to European language.  I
haven't studied Russian in decades, but I remember it as being like the
Germanic langauges.  They do fit your discription above.  They are tools
and can be used in many different ways.

> ...The religiofication of language arguments leads nowhere.   Reasonable
> people must understand that languages are designed by people, and every
> language is flawed in one way or another.  We must admit the flaws in our
> preferred language before the other fellow will admit the flaws in
> his/her preferred language.  As we do so, we might just come up with some
> ideas for the next improved language rather than remain paralyzed with
> the our current favorite.

I don't disagree, but I am going to draw a very different parallel with
religion.  In the sermon this Sunday, our minister who worked in
marketing for decades before going to seminary, drew an interesting
comparison between "the church" and corporations.  He was talking about
how corporate structures were designed to be conservative, in the sense
that they are designed to preserve and enhance the corporation.
Products and customers, while important, are secondary.  I corporation
can switch products or switch products, if necessary for the survival of
the company.

The church is different.  We can't walk away from the message and we
really are failing if we chose to target a particular market.  It may be
a good strategy for the short term survival of the organization, but at
the same time we can't tailor the message to a particular market.  (We
can package the message differently--but that is starting to get away
from the point I would like to make.)

So on one hand we have the church organization, and there is a strong
tendancy to make it as comfortable as possible for "our kind of
Christian."  As I said above, nothing wrong with that if it is confined
to packaging--the way the building is decorated, which hymns we sing,
even the scheduled time for the Sunday service.  But we can't lose sight
of the important fundamentals that can't be changed if we still want to
be Christians.  (And again the doctrinal differences between various
denominations are way off topic here.  But the parallels in programming
languages are on topic in the next paragraph. ;-)

So we have three levels of competing priorities, and it is the job of
the Elders to insure that we get those priorities straight.  The rest of
the sermon was about the fundamental conservative nature of any
organization such as a church, and the revolutionary nature to religion
as such.

We have similar levels in programming languages and a similar problem
with organizational conservatism.  Notice that there is a need for
conservatism that can't be ignored.  Fixing the roof may not be the
primary mission of the church.  On the other hand having the building
collapse and kill half the congregation is not acceptable.

In the programming language arena, there are three groups of
"stakeholders."  There are those whose responsibility is to keep the
language consistant and usable.  There are also current users who don't
want to be forced to learn new features.  Finally there are the language
evangelists, who want to use the language in new market segments, and
think that the language would be perfect if the langauge maintainers
would only add a few dozen small changes. ;-)

In programming languages the ultra-conservative role of church doctrine
is the job of the language lawyers.  Any major programming language has
a maintenance organization which is by nature very conservative, and
with good reason.  If (in the case of Ada) the ARG doesn't do its job
right, the result is not just a loss of users.  Languages can be made
unsuitable for their current role, and the result is usually something
similar to a religous schism.

A perfect example of this was Algol 68.  It was a huge change from Algol
60, and the net result was a schism.  Wirth put his alternate proposal
"on the table" Algol-W, and a large portion of the current Algol 60
users switched to Algol-W and then to Pascal.  Algol 68 was a nice
language once decent documentation existed, and several good compilers
were eventually available.  But the programmers who wanted to use Algol
68 included very few Algol 60 programmers.

On the other hand if the ARG doesn't keep the language "relevant,"
eventually the user community will wither away to nothing.  The Ada
community is currently growing, but not nearly as fast as the overall
demand for programmers.  (I should say as fast as the overall demand for
software engineers, but let's keep to one religious war at a time.)

I think that the ARG is maintaining the correct balance.  Those who
don't want change are not screaming about the proposed changes in Ada
0Y, and the evangelists are not satisified, but it is their nature to be
unsatisfied.

There will always be those who are unwilling or unable to tolerate the
almost glacial pace of change.  Fine.  For those people there are
boutique languages and languages du joir.  And I am not denigrating that
need.  There have been several projects I worked on where we developed
project specific languages.  But the toolset we used were based on an
existing major production language, with a set of translation tools for
the modified language.

One good example of a language that started out that way was C++.
Another was Object Ada which added object oriented features to Ada 83.
Object Ada was made obsolete by Ada 95, but C++ is now a separate
language development tree from C.  (And it will stay that way.  The
market for C is now different enough from the market for C++ as to be
almost disjoint.)  Of course for every seed that finds nourishing soil
and grows, hundreds of others fall on barren ground.

But the language evangilists want someone else to do the job of
developing their concept of a perfect language for them.  It can never
happen.  If they learn how to use the tools, they can develop your own
language and do all the maintenance themselves.  Or if they win the
Powerball lottery, they may be able to hire someone to do it for them.

But otherwise it is just a huge job.  My guess is that just the Ada 0Y
changes including proposals and reviews will be on the order of a man
century of work. If you want to argue that it is only a couple of man
decades, I hear you and don't.  You have to count the effort by current
langauge users to learn the changes, the compiler developers who have to
modify their compilers, the textbook authors who have to update their
texts, and so on.  Yes, at the core of all this, between the ARG and
WG9, there are several dozen people who average less than three months a
year working on standards related issues.

However, we can't forget that any changes we agree to will eventually
have a much larger effect on the Ada community as a whole.  That is in
part what makes the organizational parts of the Ada community so
conservative.  Of course, if there is a bug in the current standard, and
different compilers do different things, then we don't need to be
conservative, and we aren't.  We might as well choose whatever is best
in the long run for the Ada community, because the "extra" effort to
understand the problems and the fix is going to have to be spent in any
case.

So if you want Ada to change, be patient.  However, if you want any
changes which make the language unacceptable to its current users,
forget it.  If you identify a new need that can't be satisifed by any
version of Ada which satisfies current users, go off and do your own
thing.  (Or for that matter a new version of C++, C, Pascal or COBOL.)

It won't be the first time.  Some such efforts have been drawn back into
the fold, like Object Ada.  Others such as VHDL and SPARK identified a
market that was sufficiently different so that the right solution was to
develop separate tool chains.  (SPARCK is a "pure" Ada subset, so it can
be compiled by normal Ada compilers.  But you also have to run the
source through the SPARK Examiner to have correct SPARK code.)

And I am not trying to "blow off" reasonable extension proposals.  I am
just trying to describe the sort of thinking we go through before making
ANY language change.  If you just make a three paragraph recommendation
of an idea that looks identical to one that was worked out in minute
detail by the ARG and rejected by WG9, don't be surprised when we say it
won't fly, and don't want to go into details.  The details may involve
dozens to hundreds of hours (and pages) of discussions.  (You can
usually find them at www.ada-auth.org  and if you aren't willing to read
what is there, thoroughly, you can see why I and other ARG members
sometimes get frustrated.

--
                                           Robert I. Eachus

"The war on terror is a different kind of war, waged capture by capture,
cell by cell, and victory by victory. Our security is assured by our
perseverance and by our sure belief in the success of liberty." --
George W. Bush