From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Ada83/95 Compatibility
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 18:14:32 -0600
Date: 2005-12-14T18:14:32-06:00	[thread overview]

<jeff@thecreems.com> wrote in message
news:1134499582.913837.213460@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Since one can't specify a 'size on a subtype like this it appears that
> there really is no way to specify a minimum size for a subtype.

That's quite right, unfortunately. GNAT has 'Object_Size to deal with this,
and we looked at adding that to Ada 200Y, but it didn't get anywhere (see
AI-319).

Thus, it isn't very useful to specify 'Size on a subtype (it's only real
purpose is to control how tightly components can be packed); it's only
really meaningful on objects.

Hopefully more compilers will support 'Object_Size (we certainly intend to
do so in Janus/Ada).

                            Randy.