* Applications written in Ada
@ 2003-10-29  8:16 Lars
From: Lars @ 2003-10-29  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am aware of the (alleged) fact that Ada is mainly used for the development
of safety-critical applications by governmental institutions. I found a list
of military/space/aviation projects realised in Ada, and it was not
unimpressive.

However:

a) Is there a list of applications written in Ada that are not intended for
defense/space/aviation?
b) Which Ada applications (especially for Win32) are there for which the
source code is available?

Thanks,

-Lars

* Re: Applications written in Ada
@ 2003-10-29  9:49 ` Ross Higson
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Ross Higson @ 2003-10-29  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars wrote:

> a) Is there a list of applications written in Ada that are not intended for
> defense/space/aviation?

Try AdaWorld (http://www.adaworld.com/) and look around the 'Ada
Projects' section.

> b) Which Ada applications (especially for Win32) are there for which the
> source code is available?

I have telnet and serial communications applications specifically
written for Win32 in Ada - see the 'libraries' section of Ada World
(they're in that section because the applications are mainly intended as
test programs for the terminal emulation library). However, they are
both complete implementations, and the source is available.

There are other Win32 applications listed on the site, but sometimes it
is not obvious exactly what platforms are supported. If you feel this is
a serious omission (I never thought of it before!) it might be worth
making this point via the feedback link on the site.

Ross.

* Re: Applications written in Ada
@ 2003-10-29 11:04 ` Peter Amey
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Amey @ 2003-10-29 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars wrote:
> Hi,
[snip]

> However:
>
> a) Is there a list of applications written in Ada that are not intended for
> defense/space/aviation?
[snip]

You could take a look at the IEEE paper describing the Mondex smart card
certification authority downloadable from www.sparkada.com
(http://www.sparkada.com/downloads/ieeesw.pdf).  This describes a
Windows NT hosted system written in Ada 95, SPARK (and C++ for the GUI)
which is none of defense/space/avaiation being financial/security.

Peter

* Re: Applications written in Ada
@ 2003-10-29 15:31   ` Chad R. Meiners
From: Chad R. Meiners @ 2003-10-29 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Peter Amey" <peter.amey@praxis-cs.co.uk> wrote in message
> You could take a look at the IEEE paper describing the Mondex smart card
> certification authority downloadable from www.sparkada.com
> (http://www.sparkada.com/downloads/ieeesw.pdf).  This describes a
> Windows NT hosted system written in Ada 95, SPARK (and C++ for the GUI)
> which is none of defense/space/avaiation being financial/security.
>
> Peter

I like this paper.  It is very good ammunition against "software engineers"
that resist/dislike formal methods.

-CRM

* Re: Applications written in Ada
@ 2003-10-29 19:00 Bill Sheehan
From: Bill Sheehan @ 2003-10-29 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Smart cards?

Did you hear of a Multiapplication smart card from Quest-Products Research
Corporation
(OTCBB:QPRC) www.quest-products.com? It's called BIG1CARD.

Wonder is those Mondex folks would be interested too?

Any way, I wasn't pumping, just providing some info.

Interesting concept if it catches on.
> > a) Is there a list of applications written in Ada that are not intended
for
> > defense/space/aviation?
> [snip]
>
> You could take a look at the IEEE paper describing the Mondex smart card
> certification authority downloadable from www.sparkada.com
> (http://www.sparkada.com/downloads/ieeesw.pdf).  This describes a
> Windows NT hosted system written in Ada 95, SPARK (and C++ for the GUI)
> which is none of defense/space/avaiation being financial/security.

* Re: Applications written in Ada
@ 2003-10-29 20:17 ` Randy Brukardt
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2003-10-29 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Lars" <lars-remove_me-m@gmx.net> wrote in message
> b) Which Ada applications (especially for Win32) are there for which the
> source code is available?

Win32-specific applications typically use a thick library like Claw,
GWindows, or Windex. Look for apps using those bindings on the Ada-wide
search engine: www.adaic.com/site/wide-search.html. I know that there are
number of small applications using Claw out there. (The Claw GUI builder is
a Claw application, in fact. But no source available on that.)

                     Randy.

* Re: Applications written in Ada
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-29 20:24 ` Jano
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jano @ 2003-10-29 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars dice...

> b) Which Ada applications (especially for Win32) are there for which the
> source code is available?

My current hobby project: http://agio.sf.net

* Re: Applications written in Ada
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-29 20:43 ` Gautier Write-only
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Gautier Write-only @ 2003-10-29 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars:

> a) Is there a list of applications written in Ada that are not intended for
> defense/space/aviation?

On these lists you'll find (also) non defense/space/aviation applications

http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-project-summary.html
http://www.acm.org/sigada/education/pages/success.html

> b) Which Ada applications (especially for Win32) are there for which the
> source code is available?

Not looking too far ;-) I can cite

AdaGIDE: http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/adagide.html
TeXCAD:  http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/texcad.htm

HTH
Gautier  --  http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

* Re: Applications written in Ada
@ 2003-10-29 21:55   ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2003-10-29 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:43:13 +0100, Gautier Write-only
<gautier@fakeaddress.nil> wrote:

> On these lists you'll find (also) non defense/space/aviation applications
>
> http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-project-summary.html
> http://www.acm.org/sigada/education/pages/success.html

AstroFrames, an astrology ;-) program that works on Windows and various
Unices:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6qirr/myindex.html

- Ed

* Re: Applications written in Ada
@ 2003-10-30  4:49     ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2003-10-30  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ed Falis wrote:

> AstroFrames, an astrology ;-) program that works on Windows and various
> Unices:
>
> http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6qirr/myindex.html

Mine Detector, a mine-finding game for Windows and Linux:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jrcarter010/mindet.html

--
Jeff Carter
"Don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone I love."

* Re: Applications written in Ada
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-30 10:28 ` Erlo Haugen
From: Erlo Haugen @ 2003-10-30 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:16:08 +0100
"Lars" <lars-remove_me-m@gmx.net> wrote:
[SNIP]
> b) Which Ada applications (especially for Win32) are there for which the
> source code is available?

GNU visual debugger GVD is written in Ada

Erlo
--
Remove the underscores

* Re: Applications written in Ada
@ 2003-10-30 19:19   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2003-10-30 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> b) Which Ada applications (especially for Win32) are there for which the
>> source code is available?
  What constitutes an "application"?  Is, for instance, a web crawler
that reports dead links, an application?  How about a program that
reports on the Ada.Calendar.Clock timing characteristics of a particular
compiler/OS?  I would call a teleprompter program an application, but
I'm not so sure about a program that plays speech through a soundcard-less
DOS PC speaker.  And what about a one-shot program that grabs selected
election returns off the internet and displays them on a community
cable TV system?

* Re: Applications written in Ada
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-30 22:22 ` Patrice Freydiere
From: Patrice Freydiere @ 2003-10-30 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:16:08 +0100, Lars wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am aware of the (alleged) fact that Ada is mainly used for the development
> of safety-critical applications by governmental institutions. I found a list
> of military/space/aviation projects realised in Ada, and it was not
> unimpressive.
>
> However:
>
> a) Is there a list of applications written in Ada that are not intended for
> defense/space/aviation?
> b) Which Ada applications (especially for Win32) are there for which the
> source code is available?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Lars

my personnal img server contribution.

;-)

Patrice

http://imgsvr.tuxfamily.org

* Re: Applications written in Ada
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-31 13:18 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2003-10-31 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Lars" <lars-remove_me-m@gmx.net> wrote in message
> I am aware of the (alleged) fact that Ada is mainly used for the
development
> of safety-critical applications by governmental institutions. I found a
list
> of military/space/aviation projects realised in Ada, and it was not
> unimpressive.
>
> However:
>
> a) Is there a list of applications written in Ada that are not intended
for
> defense/space/aviation?
> b) Which Ada applications (especially for Win32) are there for which the
> source code is available?

Off the top of my head:

1. MediaGuard from Canal+ is an Ada application used for secure
pay-per-view. They do the broadcasting using Ada too I believe.

2. Philips Semiconductors control/monitors their fabrication plants using
Ada

No sources though of course - but then it wouldn't matter what the language
used was for these things. Companies _rarely_ publish source code.