From: Warren <ve3wwg@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: A very Hacky Holidays
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 18:09:00 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2010-12-17T18:09:00+00:00	[thread overview]

R Tyler Croy expounded in
news:slrnigl66m.b8b.tyler@kiwi.local:

> For me Ada is relegated to being used in my free time, a
> lot of which I will be having to hack on things over the
> upcoming vacation.
>
> I wanted to ask you all what you may/may not be hacking on
> over the break, perhaps we could cheer each other on ;)
>
> A little positive reenforcement from your peers can never
> hurt :)

I've been working on an analog synthesizer. My MIDI module
uses an ATmega168 using code written in Ada (thanks to Rolf's
AVR-Ada project). My MIDI module seems to be exhibiting key
rollover problems, which won't be hard to fix. I just need to
add a nested "Note On" counter, so that I don't prematurely
execute a physical "Note Off".

The code is written in two tasks (actually threads under AVR-
Ada). The main task processes MIDI events and queues some
events for the 2nd task. The 2nd task takes care of waking up
at the right time (via timeouts) and performing ADSR voltage
changes (DAC # 2) and creation of trigger and gate signals
(digital outputs). Pitch is also established by sending a
value to the first DAC, using an SPI interface.

My original code was all C-ish Arduino stuff, which I was not
very happy with. When I discovered AVR-Ada, I jumped at the
opportunity and rewrote it all in Ada. It is so much nicer to
work with and Ada actually pointed out a couple of previously
hidden bugs (in the C code).

My latest adventures with the recently built VCA synth module,
can be found below (there is at least one picture of the MIDI
module in there somewhere):

http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/board/index.php?topic=
2445.0

( http://tinyurl.com/2d2p9vh )

I don't think you need to be a member to view the forum.

Merry Christmas and Hacky New Year!

Warren