From: Warren <ve3wwg@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: requeue vs requeue with abort - code example pleaseeee
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 15:40:06 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2010-12-14T15:40:06+00:00	[thread overview]

Adam Beneschan expounded in
news:67977735-3e49-45bd-9919-06ddc1240dc2@u9g2000pra.googlegro
ups.com:

> On Dec 13, 8:21�am, Warren <ve3...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Adam Beneschan expounded

>> > I'm curious---what acronyms are you referring to? �Most
>> > acronyms I see are still in upper case. �(A few
>> > pronounceable acronyms ended up becoming actual words,
>> > such as "radar", but that's an exceptional case.) �But I
>> > don't think there's been a rule change...
>>
>> I believe I first heard about this change in
>> capitalization from the publisher I worked with at the
>> time (I wrote two Linux books and one Unix). I just took
>> their word for it, since they were responsible for the
>> "editing".
..
>> You need a login to see the citation online. My hardcopy
>> is at home, which I'll check if I still remember.
>
> We happen to have the 13th edition at the office, but
> that's pretty old (1982) so I don't know how much use it
> is.  However, I did notice that there were two separate
> sections---one had to do with capitalization of
> software-related acronyms, and another with acronyms in
..
> I'm interested to see what the Chicago manual says about
> this.  From what I can gather from Wikipedia, though,
> capitalization is just plain inconsistent.  FORTRAN
> officially became spelled Fortran in 1990. Unix is
> trademarked as UNIX but is often written as Unix, or
> sometimes with the "nix" in small caps.  ..

It could be it was primarily "UNIX" vs "Unix" that I ran into
this. The rules may be different once trademarked or perhaps
it was trademarked with that particular capitalization. But my
editor gave me at the time the impression that the rules had
changed.

My 14th edition (1993) doesn't seem to reflect any change of
rules. I also cannot seem to otherwise find signs of it on the
net, unless like you pointed out, it applies only to software
language acronyms. In any case, the rules are many in this
area. ;-)

Warren