From: Warren <ve3wwg@gmail.com>
Subject: InformationWeek Gives Ada Black Eye
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 13:35:29 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2010-04-21T13:35:29+00:00	[thread overview]

http://www.informationweek.com/news/development/tools/showArticle.jhtml?
articleID=224202322

( http://tinyurl.com/y3bv647 )

An IDE With Lots To Like
By Jonathan Erickson
InformationWeek
April 10, 2010 12:00 PM (From the April 12, 2010 issue)

"...
All this feature richness is great, but at some point it runs the risk of
feature bloat, bogging down resources and performance in the process.
Remember the Ada programming language? Oft described as having everything
including the kitchen sink, Ada was ahead of its time with object-
oriented and other capabilities. But its plethora of features was more
than most developers could handle, and it never went mainstream. That's
something the Visual Studio team should keep in mind."

When I think of "bloat", I think of PL/I. But I've used various
PL/I subsets and rather enjoyed using them in their day.

I particularly wonder about his statement "Oft described as having
everything including the kitchen sink". I've heard the language
described as "large" compiler wise (at least for the '80s),
but I don't think I ever heard the "kitchen sink" analogy. That
would imply luxurious or unnecessary features, which if he
understood Ada, should know better.

Warren