* System developing and Ada
@ 2004-04-04 21:41 Bartlomiej S.
From: Bartlomiej S. @ 2004-04-04 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have a few question about Ada (I made before some project in Ada, and
I like this language, specially strongly typed) and operating systems
developing. At first I'd like to explain that I'm use C++ like my
primary language. OK, my question is:
Is it possible to write OS in Ada? I have doubt because I know that Ada
require runtime. I asked about it because now I'm writing microkernel
for real time system, and I choose to develop C++ and assembler (only
for low level operation, when I can't use C++). But when I will finish
microkernel I'd like to write a runtime for Ada.
How hard is to port Ada compiler (Gnat)? I know that gnat uses gcc,
but how big is Ada runtime and standard library?
What do you think about gnat compiler? Is it only one open source Ada
compiler?
Thanks for your answer.

--
Bartlomiej Swiercz
http://sknauk.wpk.p.lodz.pl

* Re: System developing and Ada
@ 2004-04-04 23:18 ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2004-04-04 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 21:41:54 +0000, Bartlomiej S. wrote:

> Is it possible to write OS in Ada? I have doubt because I know that Ada

Yes, search the archives for my response to this question about 2-3 weeks
ago.

> require runtime. I asked about it because now I'm writing microkernel

Ada doesn't require a runtime if you want to write an OS kernel. You
wouldn't be able to use one anyway.

> for real time system, and I choose to develop C++ and assembler (only
> for low level operation, when I can't use C++). But when I will finish
> microkernel I'd like to write a runtime for Ada. How hard is to port Ada

Don't know about that one.

Luke.

* Re: System developing and Ada
@ 2004-04-05 19:43 ` Bernd Specht
From: Bernd Specht @ 2004-04-05 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, have a look here: http://marte.unican.es/

> I asked about it because now I'm writing microkernel
> for real time system,

See above.