* have 2 problems, please help.
@ 2001-12-04 19:59 Ralph Moeritz
From: Ralph Moeritz @ 2001-12-04 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all!

I've currently got 2 small problems, please help me!

1. I need GNU make for Linux (on it's own, I don't want to download it as
part of gcc package) in order to install GNAT (I think it's dumb that GNAT
comes with gcc and g++ but not make!), please can someone give me a www
address where I can find it?

2. I've just completed my solution to AdaTutor outside assignment 2 and
because I cannot compile and link my program due to problem 1. , I was
hoping someone who has done the AdaTutor course could tell me whether my
answer is correct or not. Source below.

Thanks!
Ralph

-- My solution to outside assignment 2
separate (Tritest)
function Tritype(Len1, Len2, Len3 : in Integer) return Triangle is
  Answer : Triangle;
begin

  case Len1 > 0 is
    when 'True' =>
      if Len1 = Len2 and Len1 = Len3 then
        Answer := Equilateral;
      elsif Len1 = Len2 and Len3 > 0 then
        Answer := Isosceles;
      elsif Len1 = Len3 and Len3 > 0 then
        Answer := Isosceles;
      elsif Len2 = Len3 and Len2 > 0 then
        Answer := Isosceles;
      elsif Len2 > 0 and Len3 > 0 then
        Answer := Scalene;
      else
        Answer := Not_A_Triangle;
      end if;
    when 'False' =>
      Answer := Not_A_Triangle;
  end case;

  return Answer;
end Tritype;

--
The War of the Ring -> http://wotr.sourceforge.net

* Re: have 2 problems, please help.
@ 2001-12-04 20:08 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-12-04 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Xns916E65EA68410Ralph@196.25.240.158>, Ralph Moeritz says...

>1. I need GNU make for Linux (on it's own, I don't want to download it as
>
>2. I've just completed my solution to AdaTutor outside assignment 2 and
>because I cannot compile and link my program due to problem 1. , I was

2 things here:

1) If you are running GNU/Linux, I seriously doubt that you don't have a copy of
make installed somewhere. I certianly got it with Debian and Slackware when I
installed them last.

2) You *don't* need make to compile a Gnat Ada program. Sometimes it helps for
complicated programs, particularly those that have long lists of compiler flags
and/or linked-in C code. But for a simple program with all the sources in one
directory its quite unneeded. Give "gnatmake" your main unit name, and it should
be able to do the rest.

---

However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

* Re: have 2 problems, please help.
@ 2001-12-04 20:15   ` Ralph Moeritz
From: Ralph Moeritz @ 2001-12-04 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com> wrote in

> In article <Xns916E65EA68410Ralph@196.25.240.158>, Ralph Moeritz
> says...
>>
>>1. I need GNU make for Linux (on it's own, I don't want to download it
>>as
>>
>>2. I've just completed my solution to AdaTutor outside assignment 2 and
>>because I cannot compile and link my program due to problem 1. , I was
>
> 2 things here:
>
> 1) If you are running GNU/Linux, I seriously doubt that you don't have
> a copy of make installed somewhere. I certianly got it with Debian and
> Slackware when I installed them last.
>
> 2) You *don't* need make to compile a Gnat Ada program. Sometimes it
> helps for complicated programs, particularly those that have long lists
> of compiler flags and/or linked-in C code. But for a simple program
> with all the sources in one directory its quite unneeded. Give
> "gnatmake" your main unit name, and it should be able to do the rest.
>
> ---
> T.E.D.    homepage   - http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/TED.html
>
> No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
> However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

No, I chose not to install gcc (and make came with it) and gnatmake etc.
don't run unless installed in /usr/gnat. But make is required to effect the
initial install. I hope that's clearer. I only need make to install GNAT.

--

@ 2001-12-04 20:38     ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-12-04 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Xns916E68BC5BA33Ralph@196.25.240.158>, Ralph Moeritz says...

>No, I chose not to install gcc (and make came with it) and gnatmake etc.
>don't run unless installed in /usr/gnat. But make is required to effect the
>initial install. I hope that's clearer. I only need make to install GNAT.

Hmmm....
I did some searching. It looks like gnumake is traditionally distributed in
source form, to be compiled with whatever C compiler you have laying around. I
think your best bet would to be to find some kind soul to send you the binary or
put it somewhere you can download it temporarily. I'd do it myself, but I don't
have a GNU/Linux system available right now.

The other alternative is that you could install the package (or whatever your
disto uses) that contains make. For the purposes of software development, you
may find that there's other stuff in there you'll need too.

---

@ 2001-12-04 20:38 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-12-04 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4 Dec 2001 19:59:02 GMT, Ralph Moeritz wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I've currently got 2 small problems, please help me!
>
> 1. I need GNU make for Linux (on it's own, I don't want to download it as

Which Linux distribution?

--
 ()   Join the worldwide campaign to protect fundamental human rights.
'||}

* Re: have 2 problems, please help.
@ 2001-12-04 20:45   ` Ralph Moeritz
From: Ralph Moeritz @ 2001-12-04 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote in

> On 4 Dec 2001 19:59:02 GMT, Ralph Moeritz wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I've currently got 2 small problems, please help me!
>>
>> 1. I need GNU make for Linux (on it's own, I don't want to download it
>> as
>
> Which Linux distribution?

Slackware 7.1 kernel version 2.26, have 2.47 src ready to install.

--

@ 2001-12-05  3:28   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-12-05  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message news:<13aP7.48709$xS6.80801@www.newsranger.com>...

> 1) If you are running GNU/Linux, I seriously doubt that
> you don't have a copy of make installed somewhere.

Yes, indeed, we assume that people have make around, which
is why we don't supply a redundant copy. By the way GNAT
does not come with g++!

> 2) You *don't* need make to compile a Gnat Ada program.
> Sometimes it helps for complicated programs, particularly
> those that have long lists of compiler flags

For this you just use the project features of gnatmake
(not yet available in 3.13p, but the latest version of
GNAT Pro has this capability, as does the GCC 3.x version
available at gnu.org).

* Re: have 2 problems, please help.
@ 2001-12-07 14:40     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-12-07 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4 Dec 2001 20:45:52 GMT, Ralph Moeritz wrote:
> Slackware 7.1 kernel version 2.26, have 2.47 src ready to install.

Hmm. Odd on Debian make comes in a separate package.