From: Charles Hixson <charleshixson@earthling.net>
Subject: Re: Porting GNAT to Debian Hurd
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:59:25 GMT
Date: 2001-06-21T21:59:25+00:00	[thread overview]

Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com> wrote in
news:yPoY6.3996$yp1.140358@www.newsranger.com:

> In article
> <Xns90C7553D53700charleshixsonearthli@207.217.77.23>,
> Charles Hixson says...
>>
>>Exposing my ignorance:
> This isn't just some strange coincidence. Just about *every*
> compiler works that way. GCC certianly does (you need a C

I was told that Algol was (one of?) the first to do that.
Certainly the Fortrans that I had encountered previously had
been written in FAP or MAP.

> o  There *is* an Ada compiler that outputs ANSI C
> (Intermetrics).
Good.  That should make a port relatively straight-forwards.
(Well, if you already have the code generation for a particular
CPU, anyway.)

> o  ...
> o  Anyone with the technical chops to port
> GNAT to a new platform shouldn't have too much trouble
> figuring out how to build and use a GNAT cross-compiler.
Well, that's not me.  Pity, in a way, but I've been trying to
move further away from the hardware layer, not get closer to it.

> o  The good folks at ACT are looking at providing bootstraping
> binaries for some platforms already. (see
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-06/msg01055.html )

Nice.  That's a good reference.  And if only gnat1 and gnatbind
are needed for the bootstrap, then things should be somewhat
manageable, though it's still about 3M of compiled code (on my
system).

--
Charles Hixson

Copy software legally, the GNU way!
Use GNU software, and legally make and share copies of software.
See http://www.gnu.org
    http://www.redhat.com
    http://www.linux-mandrake.com
    http://www.calderasystems.com/