From: charleshixson@earthling.net (Charles Hixson)
Subject: Re: rename missing in Text_IO
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 16:22:10 GMT
Date: 2001-05-09T16:22:10+00:00	[thread overview]

dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu (David Starner) wrote in
<9da0p9$7hu2@news.cis.okstate.edu>:

>On Tue, 08 May 2001 22:03:54 GMT, Charles Hixson
>I understood him to be talking about system calls, and the
>unix system call 'rename' works the same way he was
>describing VMS Rename to work.

But if what we are considering is what an Ada Library Package
should look like, then there's no reason to copy the low level
features of an operating system.  And the semantics of the mv
command is generally superior.  A program should not need to
know the details of the disk layout.  In fact, I'm not sure that
on all systems the normal user (as opposed to a superuser) is
even able to determine those details.  So I definitely don't
think that the standard library should assume that this can be
determined when there is no real need.  Of course, if the source
were on a CD, then neither approach would work, but that's what
one would expect if the file/volume were read/only.

--
Charles Hixson

Copy software legally, the GNU way!
Use GNU software, and legally make and share copies of software.
See http://www.gnu.org
    http://www.redhat.com
    http://www.linux-mandrake.com
    http://www.calderasystems.com/