* output something on the right side
@ 2000-10-18  0:00 Paul
From: Paul @ 2000-10-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi

please can anyone tell me how i can output a text from a variable on the
right side of the screen?

s := "testtext"
put...?????

tnx in advance

paul

* Re: output something on the right side
@ 2000-10-18  0:00 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2000-10-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Have you looked at Ada.Text_IO.Set_Col?

* Re: output something on the right side
@ 2000-10-19  0:00 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2000-10-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Paul" <gustino2001@hotmail.com> writes:

> hi
>
> please can anyone tell me how i can output a text from a variable on the
> right side of the screen?
>
> s := "testtext"
> put...?????

Sure.

   Put ("                                                   " & s);

:)

Pascal.

--|

* Re: output something on the right side
@ 2000-10-21  0:00     ` DuckE
From: DuckE @ 2000-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert Dewar" <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8ss997
[snip]
> Pascal had a smiley there, but in fact his answer is reasonable
> if you rewrite it slightly as
>
>    Put (((80-s'Length)*' ') & s);
>
> Not enough people are familiar with the useful routines
> in the Ada.Strings.xxx packages :-)

I get a compile error with the above code.  I have a lot better luck with:

  Put (String'(1..(80-s'Length)=>' ') & s);

SteveD

* Re: output something on the right side
@ 2000-10-21  0:00       ` Pat Rogers
From: Pat Rogers @ 2000-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"DuckE" <nospam_steved94@home.com> wrote in message

> "Robert Dewar" <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> [snip]
> > Pascal had a smiley there, but in fact his answer is reasonable
> > if you rewrite it slightly as
> >
> >    Put (((80-s'Length)*' ') & s);
> >
> > Not enough people are familiar with the useful routines
> > in the Ada.Strings.xxx packages :-)
> >

> I get a compile error with the above code.  I have a lot better luck
with:

>   Put (String'(1..(80-s'Length)=>' ') & s);

Did you have the operator directly visible from Ada.Strings.Fixed?

with Ada.Text_IO;
use  Ada.Text_IO;
with Ada.Strings.Fixed;
use  Ada.Strings.Fixed;

procedure test is
  S : constant String := "Hello";
begin
  put_line( ((80-S'Length)*' ') & S );
end test;

* Re: output something on the right side
@ 2000-10-21  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <u3dhsu26i.fsf@wanadoo.fr>,
  Pascal Obry <p.obry@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

>    Put ("                                                   "
& s);

> :)
>
> Pascal.

Pascal had a smiley there, but in fact his answer is reasonable
if you rewrite it slightly as

   Put (((80-s'Length)*' ') & s);

Not enough people are familiar with the useful routines
in the Ada.Strings.xxx packages :-)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: output something on the right side
@ 2000-10-22  0:00         ` DuckE
From: DuckE @ 2000-10-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > I get a compile error with the above code.  I have a lot better luck
> with:
> >
> >   Put (String'(1..(80-s'Length)=>' ') & s);
>

> Did you have the operator directly visible from Ada.Strings.Fixed?
>

> with Ada.Text_IO;
> use  Ada.Text_IO;
> with Ada.Strings.Fixed;
> use  Ada.Strings.Fixed;
>
> procedure test is
>   S : constant String := "Hello";
> begin
>   put_line( ((80-S'Length)*' ') & S );
> end test;

No.

I guess that's the danger with not posting a complete example (as you just
did).

SteveD