From: Caffeine Junky <nospam@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Question on Client - Server communication
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 02:37:43 GMT
Date: 2002-07-07T02:37:43+00:00	[thread overview]

On Sat, 06 Jul 2002 15:55:11 -0400, Preben Randhol wrote:

> Caffeine Junky <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote on 06/07/2002 (03:12) :
>> Use port "forwarding". Very simple.
>>
>> The server designates a standard port. The application connects to the
>> server on that port. The server then tells the application to switch to
>> port number X and opens a connection on that port. This leaves the
>> original port open to recieve more app requests. There are alot of
>> servers that do this. Check out thier source code.
>
> I see. Is this a way to avoid using tasks? I mean I can easily connect
> several applications to the same port on a server using tasks.

Well...depends on what your doing with the tasks. If the tasks are
generating alot of traffic, it might simplify things to tack on an
additional port per Y number of tasks. i.e. Open another port for every
10 tasks. This way the timing issues should be less troublesome.
You also should be familiar with the way the intended platform will
handle the tasks, i.e. as threads or full weight processes, etc...

St4pL3