* asharp on linux
@ 2004-12-20 21:12 u_int32_t
From: u_int32_t @ 2004-12-20 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anyone have any luck compiling A# on linux? Its supposed to be
straightforward. I haven't had any straightforward luck with it though.

* Re: asharp on linux
@ 2004-12-21  0:24 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2004-12-21  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Contact Martin Carlisle for information (the authore of A#) as he has
done it before and is looking for some one to maintain a distribution
of A# for Linux as well.

I'd certainly be happy to place it on AdaPower.com if you or another does.

David Botton

@ 2004-12-21  0:30   ` u_int32_t
From: u_int32_t @ 2004-12-21  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:24:43 -0500, David Botton wrote:

> Contact Martin Carlisle for information (the authore of A#) as he has
> done it before and is looking for some one to maintain a distribution
> of A# for Linux as well.
>
> I'd certainly be happy to place it on AdaPower.com if you or another does.

I suppose I will do that once I formulate a Smart Question for Mr
Carlisle. Hehe.

* Re: asharp on linux
@ 2004-12-21  1:18     ` u_int32_t
From: u_int32_t @ 2004-12-21  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 00:30:24 +0000, u_int32_t wrote:

>  Mr
> Carlisle.

Sounds like a rapper term. Fo shizzle carlisle. But its probably
pronounced car-lyle. hehe

i need help

* Re: asharp on linux
@ 2004-12-21  3:22   ` u_int32_t
From: u_int32_t @ 2004-12-21  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:24:43 -0500, David Botton wrote:

> Contact Martin Carlisle for information (the authore of A#) as he has
> done it before and is looking for some one to maintain a distribution of
> A# for Linux as well.
>
> I'd certainly be happy to place it on AdaPower.com if you or another
> does.

The latest version of A# will only compile with the latest version of
GNAT.  Unfortunately, this is only available through their academic
program or to their customers.  It shouldn't matter what version of GCC
you have.

--Martin

Yaay for open source.

* Re: asharp on linux
@ 2004-12-21  8:21     ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-12-21  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

u_int32_t wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:24:43 -0500, David Botton wrote:
>
>> Contact Martin Carlisle for information (the authore of A#) as he has
>> done it before and is looking for some one to maintain a distribution of
>> A# for Linux as well.
>>
>> I'd certainly be happy to place it on AdaPower.com if you or another
>> does.
>>

> The latest version of A# will only compile with the latest version of
> GNAT.  Unfortunately, this is only available through their academic
> program or to their customers.  It shouldn't matter what version of GCC
> you have.

You mean a cvs snapshot won't do?

> Yaay for open source.

Well, for AdaCore Open Source is just that - Open Source - and not Open
Binaries or Open Distribution.

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: asharp on linux
@ 2004-12-21 10:45       ` u_int32_t
From: u_int32_t @ 2004-12-21 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:21:08 +0100, Martin Krischik wrote:

> You mean a cvs snapshot won't do?

Working on it

> Well, for AdaCore Open Source is just that - Open Source - and not Open
> Binaries or Open Distribution.

Nothing stops their customers from redistributing it except they probably
have a reverse "discount" for those who choose to distribute it. heh.

* Re: asharp on linux
@ 2004-12-21 12:16         ` Jeff C r e e.m
From: Jeff C r e e.m @ 2004-12-21 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

"u_int32_t" <u_int32_t@whocares.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:21:08 +0100, Martin Krischik wrote:
>
>> You mean a cvs snapshot won't do?
>
> Working on it
>
>> Well, for AdaCore Open Source is just that - Open Source - and not Open
>> Binaries or Open Distribution.
>
> Nothing stops their customers from redistributing it except they probably
> have a reverse "discount" for those who choose to distribute it. heh.

I know this was mean to be a little funny (and perhaps meant to be a little
true) but in my experience the
often repeated claim that ACT will "come down on" a customer that
re-distributes source is urban folklore.

I have been (though not currently) an ACT customer in the past and never
received warnings/hints or any other
"feeling" that re-distribution of source was frowned upon.

Also, a year ago or so when ACT used to have a separate CVS visible at the
libre site I pulled out a version of GNAT 5.01
(just the Ada part) and built it against a GCC core to produce something
close to a public version of 5.01.

I did get an email from ACT because they (reasonable) wanted me to change
some constants so the suite did not report
GNAT Pro in the name (trademark/branding issues) but there was no tone of
general dissaproval for what I had done (of course they soon pulled the
separate CVS from the public view but that was also right around the time
when the FSF gcc really started getting stable).

I DID get 5 or 6 emails from non ACT people who were horrified that I would
do such a thing because it was not an official ACT public release and I had
the
nerve to maintain 5.01 in the title (though I also added jmc and a date code
to the version string and made the RPM install in a non-standard jmc
location to further prevent confusion).

What probably stops most customers from redistributing source is that
employees do not want to anger their employers by "stealing" software from
work.
Sure that is not what would actually be happening but who really wants to
take the chance.

* Re: asharp on linux
@ 2004-12-21 13:38         ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-12-21 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

u_int32_t wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:21:08 +0100, Martin Krischik wrote:
>
>> You mean a cvs snapshot won't do?
>
> Working on it
>
>> Well, for AdaCore Open Source is just that - Open Source - and not Open
>> Binaries or Open Distribution.
>
> Nothing stops their customers from redistributing it except they probably
> have a reverse "discount" for those who choose to distribute it. heh.

I don't think AdaCore has a reverse "discount". They don't need that.

Because: Why should Boing, Airbus or the Swiss Postfinance
(http://www.adacore.com/customers.php) suddenly start to sell software? And
not even software related to there core bussiness but a compiler tool
chain?

With Regards

Martin
--

@ 2004-12-21 16:01           ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-12-21 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik wrote:
> Because: Why should Boing, Airbus or the Swiss Postfinance
> (http://www.adacore.com/customers.php) suddenly start to sell
> software? And not even software related to there core bussiness but a
> compiler tool chain?

FWIW, I understand Boeing do actually have their own FAA certifiable Ada
compiler...

* Re: asharp on linux
@ 2004-12-21 23:59             ` Jeff C r e e.m
From: Jeff C r e e.m @ 2004-12-21 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Martin Dowie" <martin.dowie@baesystems.com> wrote in message
> Martin Krischik wrote:
>> Because: Why should Boing, Airbus or the Swiss Postfinance
>> (http://www.adacore.com/customers.php) suddenly start to sell
>> software? And not even software related to there core bussiness but a
>> compiler tool chain?
>
> FWIW, I understand Boeing do actually have their own FAA certifiable Ada
> compiler...

Maybe..but if that is the case they must be looking to move away from it.

http://www.adacore.com/pressroom_11.php

a.. Wind River and AdaCore software will be used in Boeing's new 7E7
Dreamliner, powering the Common Core System, which is the electronics and
software backbone of the airplane
a.. AdaCore's development tool, GNAT Pro High Integrity Edition for AE653,
will be integrated into Wind River Platform for Safety Critical ARINC 653