From: "chris.danx" <chris.danx@ntlworld.com>
Subject: Re: GNATDOS on Win2000?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 22:10:41 -0000
Date: 2001-12-14T22:10:41+00:00	[thread overview]

"David C. Hoos" <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.1008344342.3245.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org...
> Hi Chris,
>
> It's really hard to give an answer when so few details
> are given.  I suspect that gnat for DOS will work on Win2k,
> since I have used it on both Win9x and NT.

Hope so!  I'll install it tommorrow and try it.

> However, I also suspect you will have the same problem
> with Grub, because I suspect the problem is that Grub
> wants to load things that will begin execution in real mode,
> rather than the protected mode in which both gnat for Win32
> and gnat for DOS run.

The issue was not with GRUB loading 16bit code, it can and does load 32bit
code.  The issue was the Windows compiler doing something that prevented it
from being used with GRUB.  Perhaps it put win32 specific stuff in the code
or something like that, I don't know (I did use options to tell it not to
link the default executable startup routine, and linked it with a customised
asm routine later on).  All I know is that when the code was compiled with
the DOS version it worked and when compiled with the windows version it
didn't.

> I don't know whether there are any Ada compilers around
> these days which will build real mode executables.

There are supposed to be Ada 83 compilers floating about that compile to
real mode (someone pointed me to where to purchase a copy a while back,
before I got to grips with grub  -- I was going to write my own
bootloader)).