From: WOODRUFF@ec2226.addvax.llnl.gov
Subject: 9X Distributed Annex?  CORBA?
Date: 30 Sep 94 13:03:32
Date: 1994-09-30T13:03:32+00:00	[thread overview]

I'm seeking information and relevant advice about planning and building
a distributed application using Ada94.  The application is an integrated
control system that will deploy about 200 workstation-class computers in
a local area net to control the next-generation high-power fusion laser.

I have studied the RM's Distributed Annex, and I recognize that the
language standard will allow me to build the system I need.  However I
am not aware of any implementation of the Annex. I have not seen any
claim by the GNAT team that they are planning an Annex implementation.
Validation of commercial compilers is likely to be higher priority to
compiler businesses than building Annexes.  Therefore my first question
is "where and when am I likely to obtain an implementation of
Distributed Annex?"

The other standard that appears relevant to my intention is CORBA.  I'm
pretty uninformed about implementations of CORBA, so I'd welcome advice
about what I should do to prepare for eventual use of these products.
How will Ada interface to CORBA tools? Will CORBA implementations let me
mix my application parts with components in other languages, or even
with COTS software?

What is the relationship of CORBA to the distributed annex?  If the two
are complementary strategies, then what will I need to buy and what do I
need to learn so I can plan my application?  On the other hand if they
are two competing paradigms, how can I choose between them, and how bad
will be my punishment if I choose the wrong one?

John
(woodruff1@llnl.gov)
Lawrence Livermore National Lab