From: WOODRUFF@ec2226.addvax.llnl.gov
Subject: Package Interface, and interoperbility
Date: 23 Sep 94 15:53:16
Date: 1994-09-23T15:53:16+00:00	[thread overview]

I have been studying the package Interface and I am puzzled about how
Ada implementations will be able to interface with other languages in
one specific situation.  I'm probably overlooking some important feature
so I hope somebody will enlighten me.

I learn in Interface.C.Pointer that I can instantiate that package and
then I will have a type Pointer that will let me link a C library that
has data of type Element * on its interface.

My concern is that this appears to assume that *every* C implementation
uses the same representation for Element *.   Otherwise I think some
C-compiled library will not be callable from my Ada program because the
C compiler used a representation for Element * that disagrees with the
Ada compiler's code.  What's worse, one library will be fine and another
(compiled with a different C compiler) will be unusable, and I won't
know before I spend MY OWN MONEY (tm) on the library that I'm in
trouble.

Is there reason for concern here?

John