* Ann: 2 Ada apps
@ 2004-01-21  5:43 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2004-01-21  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've posted two Ada apps (MS Windows) at home.comcast.net/~twmoran
Shelves    a graphic visualization of files on disk - useful
Orbitals   a dynamic visualization of hydrogen electron orbitals - fun

* Re: Ann: 2 Ada apps
@ 2004-01-22  8:47 ` Craig Carey
From: Craig Carey @ 2004-01-22  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 05:43:52 GMT, tmoran@acm.org wrote:

>I've posted two Ada apps (MS Windows) at home.comcast.net/~twmoran
>Shelves    a graphic visualization of files on disk - useful
>Orbitals   a dynamic visualization of hydrogen electron orbitals - fun

For viewing files in Microsoft Windows disk volumes, there is
 SequoiaView which is more impressive than Shelves:

    http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

| SequoiaView is a disk browsing tool [that] uses 'Cushion
| Treemaps' ... The principle is simple: each time a rectangle is
| subdivided, ... a pattern of hierarchical [coloured] cushions ...
| show the structure in the directories and files. ... Files and
| directories can be selected, inspected and opened, but can not be
| modified directly. ... Uses research of the Technische
| Universiteit Eindhoven.

             ---

| Windows has a bug related to window placement. Microsoft says ...
|
| Shove-it fixes this bug by monitoring your application windows
| and correcting any that stray out of the desktop bounds. The way
| it does this is user configurable, and it can even re-size a
| window to fit on the desktop if necessary.

   http://www.phord.com/shoveit.html

Another conventional disk space size program:
   http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

Craig Carey

* Re: Ann: 2 Ada apps
@ 2004-01-22 20:41   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2004-01-22 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

| SequoiaView is a disk browsing tool [that] uses 'Cushion
| Treemaps' ... The principle is simple: each time a rectangle is
| subdivided, ... a pattern of hierarchical [coloured] cushions ...
  Some people prefer subdivided rectangles.  I find shelves with
folders lying on them, and files piled on their folder, better
for this application.

* Re: Ann: 2 Ada apps
@ 2004-01-26 21:14   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2004-01-26 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Based on user feedback, I've posted an improved version of Shelves at
home.comcast.net/~twmoran
Shelves displays directories/folders as horizontal bars lying on shelves,
with subfolders and files lying on top of them.  Length is proportional to
size so a glance shows files' relative sizes.  You can highlight the
display by file name (eg, gnat-3.15p-nt.exe or *.ad?), date, attributes,
or files duplicated across directories.  Chances are you will be surprised
at some of the junk you find on your disks. ;)  Shelves is written in
Ada and uses the Claw Windows binding.  Source available on request.