* Tasking in Gnat for DOS or Linux?
@ 1995-02-06  2:12 Chris O'Regan
From: Chris O'Regan @ 1995-02-06  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Two questions:

   1) Does the Linux version of Gnat support tasking?

   2) I have noticed a task switching library for djgpp called aetsk102.zip.
      Can this be used to get tasking working under Gnat for DOS?

   If the answer to both of these questions is "no", where can I find an Ada
compiler for DOS/Windows/Linux that does support tasking?  Gwuada is not so
bad to play with, but I want something a bit of power.

Chris O'Regan
Computer Engineering,
Concordia University,
Montreal, Canada.

* Re: Tasking in Gnat for DOS or Linux?
@ 1995-02-07  3:33 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1995-02-07  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does the Linux version of GNAT support tasking: not yet (volunteers? :-)

Can the task switching package be used to support tasking on DOS, probably
but with some work (volunteers? :-)

I don't know of any other Ada compiler you can get for Linux, but for the
PC you have at least three other alternatives that support tasking fully
(Alsys, Meridian/Rational, RR)

* Re: Tasking in Gnat for DOS or Linux?
@ 1995-02-08  7:52 ` Douglas Rupp
From: Douglas Rupp @ 1995-02-08  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3h40j2$iur@newsflash.concordia.ca> ct_orega@ECE.Concordia.CA (Chris O'Regan) writes:

>   2) I have noticed a task switching library for djgpp called aetsk102.zip.
>      Can this be used to get tasking working under Gnat for DOS?
>

>   If the answer to both of these questions is "no", where can I find an Ada

I remember looking at aetsk102.zip with the idea of using it for GNAT tasking
on DOS.  It didn't look like it would be much help.  A much better
alternative would be the public domain CTASK library or maybe the POSIX
threads library.

* Re: Tasking in Gnat for DOS or Linux?
@ 1995-02-09  2:53   ` Vladimir Vukicevic
From: Vladimir Vukicevic @ 1995-02-09  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3h6pm5$gk8@gnat.cs.nyu.edu> dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert
Dewar) writes:
> Does the Linux version of GNAT support tasking: not yet
> (volunteers? :-)

Not yet; I've been working on porting pthreads to Linux on and off for
some time. I'll probably be able to dedicate all of my time to this in a
week or so; I hope to have something then.

	- Vladimir

* Re: Tasking in Gnat for DOS or Linux?
@ 1995-02-09 17:14     ` Dan McLaughlin
From: Dan McLaughlin @ 1995-02-09 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <VLADIMIR.95Feb8185349@speedy.intrepid.com> vladimir@speedy.intrepid.com (Vladimir Vukicevic) writes:

>   In article <3h6pm5$gk8@gnat.cs.nyu.edu> dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert
>   Dewar) writes:
>   > Does the Linux version of GNAT support tasking: not yet
>   > (volunteers? :-)

>   Not yet; I've been working on porting pthreads to Linux on and off for
>   some time. I'll probably be able to dedicate all of my time to this in a
>   week or so; I hope to have something then.

>	   - Vladimir

	There is a pthreads library written by Chris Provenzano which is at
  ftp://sipb.mit.edu/pub/pthreads
  HTTP://www.mit.edu:8001/people/proven/home_page.html.

It is ported to hppa/linux/bsd/ultrix/sunos/ ...  The version for
Linux compiled easily and cleanly, I haven't used it much yet though.
Actually I was suprised that this wasn't used for the GNAT pthreads
library.  (GNAT team) Whats the plan for GNAT pthreads?

							-DrM

-- Dan McLaughlin                                    Member Team Ada
-- drm@sr.hp.com     			             (707) 577-5676

-- Dan McLaughlin
-- drm@sr.hp.com     			             (707) 577-5676

* Re: Tasking in Gnat for DOS or Linux?
@ 1995-02-11  2:27       ` Vladimir Vukicevic
From: Vladimir Vukicevic @ 1995-02-11  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <DRM.95Feb9091402@dilbert.sr.hp.com> drm@dilbert.sr.hp.com (Dan McLaughlin) writes:
>  There is a pthreads library written by Chris Provenzano which is at
>	 ftp://sipb.mit.edu/pub/pthreads
>	 HTTP://www.mit.edu:8001/people/proven/home_page.html.
>
>  It is ported to hppa/linux/bsd/ultrix/sunos/ ...  The version for
>  Linux compiled easily and cleanly, I haven't used it much yet though.
>  Actually I was suprised that this wasn't used for the GNAT pthreads
>  library.  (GNAT team) Whats the plan for GNAT pthreads?

I've looked at this. It would need extensions before it could be used
for gnat; however, I think this is based on a different draft of
P1003.4a than FSU/PART pthreads. It's missing many things, most
notably pthread_kill, and most of the scheduling routines.

It would probably be much easier to just use the FSU pthreads code and
write the small amount of assembly required (the rest uses C_CONTEXT_SWITCH,
etc.)

	- Vladimir