From: vladimir@speedy.intrepid.com (Vladimir Vukicevic)
Subject: Re: Tasking in Gnat for DOS or Linux?
Date: 11 Feb 1995 02:27:24 GMT
Date: 1995-02-11T02:27:24+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <DRM.95Feb9091402@dilbert.sr.hp.com> drm@dilbert.sr.hp.com (Dan McLaughlin) writes:
>  There is a pthreads library written by Chris Provenzano which is at
>	 ftp://sipb.mit.edu/pub/pthreads
>	 HTTP://www.mit.edu:8001/people/proven/home_page.html.
>
>  It is ported to hppa/linux/bsd/ultrix/sunos/ ...  The version for
>  Linux compiled easily and cleanly, I haven't used it much yet though.
>  Actually I was suprised that this wasn't used for the GNAT pthreads
>  library.  (GNAT team) Whats the plan for GNAT pthreads?

I've looked at this. It would need extensions before it could be used
for gnat; however, I think this is based on a different draft of
P1003.4a than FSU/PART pthreads. It's missing many things, most
notably pthread_kill, and most of the scheduling routines.

It would probably be much easier to just use the FSU pthreads code and
write the small amount of assembly required (the rest uses C_CONTEXT_SWITCH,
etc.)

	- Vladimir