* Re: GNAT 2.04 Linux binaries?
       [not found] ` <3mm4vn$f52@mica.inel.gov>
@ 1995-04-20  0:00   ` Vladimir Vukicevic
From: Vladimir Vukicevic @ 1995-04-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <D747BK.FCJ@nntpa.cb.att.com> ka@socrates.hr.att.com (Kenneth Almquist) writes:

> (In traditional C setjmp is a library routine.  In ANSI C, setjmp
> is a macro defined in setjmp.h.  Linux follows the ANSI C standard
> and defines setjmp to be __setjmp.)
> 					Kenneth Almquist

Speaking of this, does anyone know of any reason -why- ANSI C specifies
this? Or did someone just go off on a whim and say "Hey! Let's make
setjmp a macro, and break interfacing to every other language! Yeah!"?

	Vladimir

* Re: GNAT 2.04 Linux binaries?
@ 1995-04-21  0:00     ` Kenneth Almquist
From: Kenneth Almquist @ 1995-04-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

vladimir@speedy.intrepid.com (Vladimir Vukicevic) asks:
> Or did someone just go off on a whim and say "Hey! Let's make
> setjmp a macro, and break interfacing to every other language! Yeah!"?

There was a machine on which implementing setjmp as a function was
difficult if not impossible.  (I don't remember the machine or the
details; it was something to do with not being able to access the
frame pointer for anything besides the current procedure.)

Calling setjmp from a language other than C is not a particularly
good idea anyway; for example if the interface is implemented using
stub routines setjmp won't work at all.  The difficulty GNAT faces
is that the method of performing a setjmp is machine-specific but
is not specified in the machine descriptions used by GCC.
				Kenneth Almquist

* Re: GNAT 2.04 Linux binaries?
       [not found] <RBREWER.95Apr13234004@rwb114.rh.psu.edu>
       [not found] ` <3mm4vn$f52@mica.inel.gov>
@ 1995-04-21  0:00 ` Paul H. Whittington
From: Paul H. Whittington @ 1995-04-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes!  Up on cs.nyu.edu you will find gnat-2.04-linux*.