From: Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: GNAT Error message
Date: 20 Dec 2000 12:44:49 -0500
Date: 2000-12-20T12:44:49-05:00	[thread overview]

In article <91ov30$s9g$1@nnrp1.deja.com>, Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> writes:
> In article <3A3F854A.4AAC16EB@averstar.com>,
>   Tucker Taft <stt@averstar.com> wrote:
>> Here is the "AdaMagic" error message, interspersed in the
> listing:

>>    13       This (Index) := Integer (Index - This'First);
> -- Line 13
>>                                             *
>> *****Error: LRM:8.4(1) Binary operator "-" between Index_Type
> and Index_Type
>> *****        not directly visible, use clause or conversion
> might be needed
>>    14     end loop;
>>
>> Not clearly better or worse, in my view, than the GNAT error
> message.
>
> Hmmm! would you clearly distinguish if more than one Index_Type
> was in scope -- we find the location references to the
> declaration very useful in GNAT.

While a location reference to the declaration sounds quite helpful
in general, I would suggest that it be suppressed in the case of
those who have more than one Index_Type in scope, giving them some
encouragement to change their ways.

This is for the (admittedly low probability) chance that _I_
might have to maintain their code some day :-)