From: "Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam.not.jrcarter@acm.not.spam.org>
Subject: Re: Java wrappers around Ada?
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 23:25:41 GMT
Date: 2006-03-22T23:25:41+00:00	[thread overview]

kk_oop@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi.  My team has a bunch of legacy Ada code.  Our new code is being
> written in Java.  However, we still have many complex algorithms
> written in thousands of lines of Ada.  Rather than rewriting the
> tested/validated Ada code in Java, we'd like to create a Java facade
> that would delegate to the Ada code, thereby making the Ada code
> available to newer Java client objects.  Is this reasonable (as opposed
> to rewriting everything in Java)?  Anyone know what
> mechanisms/libraries would support such an approach?

You have a number of options. Some compilers support Ada as a language for JNI.
There are also compilers that output Jcode from Ada. You might be able to turn
your Ada into a dynamic library and call that from Java. You could rewrite all
your Ada in Java, though I don't recommend that.

The best option, of course, is to do all your code in Ada, but you'd have to be
competent SW engineers to choose that.

--
Jeff Carter
"Son of a window-dresser."