* -lluser32 missing
@ 2005-06-04  6:44 Christoph Karl Walter Grein
From: Christoph Karl Walter Grein @ 2005-06-04  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

I've installed Gnat 3.4.2 on Windows (98|XP). When I try to link a hello world program, I get the following.

What am I missing?

>gnatmake hello
gcc -c hello.adb
gnatbind -x hello.ali
gnatlink hello.ali
C:\Compiler\GCC\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe: cannot find -luser32
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gnatlink: cannot call C:\Compiler\GCC\bin\gcc.exe
gnatmake: *** link failed.

* Re: -lluser32 missing
@ 2005-06-04 13:17 ` Jeff C
From: Jeff C @ 2005-06-04 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph Karl Walter Grein wrote:
> I've installed Gnat 3.4.2 on Windows (98|XP). When I try to link a hello world program, I get the following.
>
> What am I missing?

Actually, you installed GCC 3.4.2 that includes GNAT Ada support. GNAT
version numbers are distinct from gcc versions and unless you are using
a compiler version derived directly from an AdaCore release, the version
number not in the same version number stream.

Seems like a trivial complaint (that I make here from time to time) but
seeing that there is now a GCC 4.0 and there was a (not widely
distributed) GNAT 4.0 and they are completely different beasts (GNAT 4.0
was based on GCC 2.8 I think) this can cause confusion.

>>gnatmake hello
>
> gcc -c hello.adb
> gnatbind -x hello.ali
> gnatlink hello.ali
> C:\Compiler\GCC\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe: cannot find -luser32
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> gnatlink: cannot call C:\Compiler\GCC\bin\gcc.exe
> gnatmake: *** link failed.

Seems like some sort of installation problem. This is an mingw gcc
release. Have you tried this from an Msys shell. Mingw installs
generally do not do things like setup all of the path/environment
variables for using the tools from a cmd.exe shell.

Try it first from an msys shell. Also might be worth asking this on the
mingw mailing lists.

Do you have a libuser32.a file somewhere in the tree where you install
this stuff.. Perhaps you just downloaded and installed a portion of the
required mingw items?