* Apex and Ada
@ 2005-06-27 20:00 Arieh Bibliowicz
From: Arieh Bibliowicz @ 2005-06-27 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I need help creating an archive library (.a file in unix) in Apex Ada.
Does anyone know how to do this?
thanks

Arieh

* Re: Apex and Ada
@ 2005-06-28 16:11 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2005-06-28 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arieh Bibliowicz; +Cc: comp.lang.ada

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 10:00:54PM +0200, Arieh Bibliowicz wrote:
> I need help creating an archive library (.a file in unix) in Apex Ada.
> Does anyone know how to do this?
> thanks

Have a look at this link. I haven't checked but it might be explained
here. If not have you checked the GNAT manual?

http://oopweb.com/Ada/Documents/AdaLinux/VolumeFrames.html?/Ada/Documents/AdaLinux/Volume/book.html

--
Preben Randhol -------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/Ada95 --
                 �For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.�

* Re: Apex and Ada
@ 2005-06-28 16:53   ` Martin Dowie
       [not found]     ` <20050628213253.GB8323@pvv.org>
From: Martin Dowie @ 2005-06-28 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 10:00:54PM +0200, Arieh Bibliowicz wrote:
>
>>I need help creating an archive library (.a file in unix) in Apex Ada.
>>Does anyone know how to do this?
>>thanks
>

> Have a look at this link. I haven't checked but it might be explained
> here. If not have you checked the GNAT manual?
>
> http://oopweb.com/Ada/Documents/AdaLinux/VolumeFrames.html?/Ada/Documents/AdaLinux/Volume/book.html

That's not likely to be super useful as the OP is using IBM-Rational
Apex Ada not GNAT... :-(

-- Martin

* Re: Apex and Ada
@ 2005-06-28 19:03 ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2005-06-28 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arieh Bibliowicz wrote:
> I need help creating an archive library (.a file in unix) in Apex Ada.

.a files are created by the program "ar", using object files (.o files)
as input. Once you get Apex to produce object files, "man ar" should
provide the information you need.

--
Bj�rn Persson                              PGP key A88682FD
                    omb jor ers @sv ge.

* Re: Apex and Ada
@ 2005-06-28 21:32     ` Preben Randhol
       [not found]     ` <20050628213253.GB8323@pvv.org>
From: Preben Randhol @ 2005-06-28 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 04:53:05PM +0000, Martin Dowie wrote:
> That's not likely to be super useful as the OP is using IBM-Rational
> Apex Ada not GNAT... :-(

OK first check Apex manual then check Gnat :-) But I thought one could
make the .a files without some other program like ar. Not sure if you
have to do anything spesific before this though.

--

@ 2005-06-29  5:53       ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2005-06-29  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 11:32:53PM +0200, Preben Randhol wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 04:53:05PM +0000, Martin Dowie wrote:
> > That's not likely to be super useful as the OP is using IBM-Rational
> > Apex Ada not GNAT... :-(
>
> OK first check Apex manual then check Gnat :-) But I thought one could
> make the .a files without some other program like ar. Not sure if you
                    ^^^^^^^
                    Should have been: ... with some other ...

@ 2005-07-01 20:09 ` David Emery
From: David Emery @ 2005-07-01 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

This sent me to the "wayback machine", I haven't done this in about 8 years (since I left the CAATS program)...

There's an option in Apex to produce the linker command line.  What you need to do is generate the ld command line, and then you can grab all the ".o" files to produce an archive.

BUT:  You have to worry about the elaboration entry point.  You can't just link in an Ada archive into an executable, and expect everything to work correctly.  You have to make sure that the main program that you link with the archive will call the elaboration entry point before any other Ada unit is called.

    dave