* Can't set breakpoints
@ 2006-07-24  9:25 Thiagu.Kannan
From: Thiagu.Kannan @ 2006-07-24  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using ObjectADA version 7.2.2.
Of late, i'm not able to set breakpoints. The error message that pops
up when i try to set breakpoints is not very helpful; it just says
"cannot set breakpoint".
I was able to set breakpoints earlier; it's just that the number of
lines of code and hence the size of the code have increased.
If it's of any help, the size of my code is 184KB and the size of the
executable is 800KB.

Please help.

* Re: Can't set breakpoints
@ 2006-07-24  9:34 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2006-07-24  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 02:25 -0700, Thiagu.Kannan@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm using ObjectADA version 7.2.2.

Is this ObjectAda Professional Edition or the special edition?
The special edition has some limits on the size of code.
If you like, send me the files and instructions where to set
breakpoints. Or ask on the ObjectAda mailing list.

> Of late, i'm not able to set breakpoints. The error message that pops
> up when i try to set breakpoints is not very helpful; it just says
> "cannot set breakpoint".
> I was able to set breakpoints earlier; it's just that the number of
> lines of code and hence the size of the code have increased.
> If it's of any help, the size of my code is 184KB and the size of the
> executable is 800KB.
>
> Please help.

* Re: Can't set breakpoints
@ 2006-07-25  1:42 ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2006-07-25  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

<Thiagu.Kannan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm using ObjectADA version 7.2.2.
> Of late, i'm not able to set breakpoints. The error message that pops
> up when i try to set breakpoints is not very helpful; it just says
> "cannot set breakpoint".
> I was able to set breakpoints earlier; it's just that the number of
> lines of code and hence the size of the code have increased.
> If it's of any help, the size of my code is 184KB and the size of the
> executable is 800KB.

Assuming you're using the Professional edition, it is not a code size or
executable size issue.
I have successfully debugged exectables that are several megabytes with over
100K SLOC.

I do however sometimes run into difficulty debugging.  The most common
problem is when the debugger gets out of sync with the source code...
usually off by a line or two.  While I haven't identified a particular
cause, it is more prevalent in larger source modules.

You might try increasing the stack size.  I remember having problems when
the stack size was too small, but it has been so long I can't remember the
nature of the problem.

Steve
(The Duck)