* comment: Ada 83-95
@ 2003-08-27  4:46 Tom Moran
From: Tom Moran @ 2003-08-27  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently needed to write some utilities to run under 16 bit MSDOS (for
data recovery of a badly damaged W2K NTFS disk), so I dug out an antique
  PC-AT class computer and used its Ada 83 compiler.
   I was surprised by the importance of some of the "little changes" in
Ada 95 vs 83 like declaration order requirements, mixing named and
"others" in aggregate assignments, limited 'image, and, of course, "use
type".

* Re: comment: Ada 83-95
@ 2003-08-29 16:58 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-08-29 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom Moran <tmoran@acm.org> writes:

> I recently needed to write some utilities to run under 16 bit MSDOS
> (for data recovery of a badly damaged W2K NTFS disk), so I dug out an
> antique PC-AT class computer and used its Ada 83 compiler.
>    I was surprised by the importance of some of the "little changes"
> in Ada 95 vs 83 like declaration order requirements, mixing named and
> "others" in aggregate assignments, limited 'image, and, of course,
> "use type".

Yes, Ada 95 is a much better language than Ada 83, in lots of little
ways as well as the obvious big ones. But, you can compile almost all
Ada 83 source with an Ada 95 compiler. I think that's a remarkable
achievement by the Ada 95 team!

--
-- Stephe

* Re: comment: Ada 83-95