From: tmoran@acm.org
Subject: Re: Newbie wanna Ada
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 21:30:27 GMT
Date: 2001-10-25T21:30:27+00:00	[thread overview]

>1. Is there a *usual* interface in Ada for socket-related operations?
  There are several, but I wouldn't call any *the usual* interface.

>2. Is there some more or less standard GUI lib?
  Again, there are several, at various levels of abstraction, and
running on various OS's, but none is *the standard*.

>3. What is the level of portability of the source code?
  High as long as you don't lock yourself into vendor supplied "extras"
(or hit some bug in a particular compiler, of course).

>4. What is the possibility of interfacing Ada with C (mainly - using C
>libs from Ada)? Is this made during the linking ...
  Easy.  This is usually required when making OS calls, for instance.

>is it possible to call back some Ada procedure from the C function
  Certainly.  Again, OS callbacks are a standard example.

>(possibly running in another thread)?
  A callback is just a subroutine call, not a context switch.  But
the called Ada routine could of course do a rendezvous or start a
new task or ...

  Look around at www.adapower.com for links to examples of all the above.
Download (www.rrsoftware.com) Claw for examples, in the MS Windows
context, of all the above.  (Disclaimer: I'm one of the Claw developers)