* Mil-std 1553
@ 1999-04-10  0:00 imohammed
From: imohammed @ 1999-04-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to write driver for 1553 for VxWorks system.  I was wondering if
there is any book or paper available that could be helpful.

Thanks
Irfan Mohammed

* Re: Mil-std 1553
@ 1999-04-10  0:00 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1999-04-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

imohammed@mailexcite.com wrote in message
<7encug$d1e$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>I am trying to write driver for 1553 for VxWorks system.  I was wondering
if
>there is any book or paper available that could be helpful.

The first place to consult would be the documentation for the interface
hardware.

This would allow you to write a low-level driver.

But, then, in any system using MIL-STD-1553, there is certain to be some
sort of messaging protocol to be implemented at a higher level to
abstract away the messaging details.

* Re: Mil-std 1553
@ 1999-04-15  0:00 ` Joseph P Vlietstra
From: Joseph P Vlietstra @ 1999-04-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: imohammed

imohammed@mailexcite.com wrote:

> I am trying to write driver for 1553 for VxWorks system.  I was wondering if
> there is any book or paper available that could be helpful

Just about every MIL-STD-1553 vendor provides introductory material on the
the 1553 data bus.  SBS avionics provides a nice 1553 tutorial, available at:
ftp://ftp.sbse.com/web_files/pdf/general/1553Interpretation.pdf

My personal favorite is the DDC 1553 Designer's Guide, available at:
http://www.ilcddc.com/products/databus/

There's an unofficial version of MIL-STD-1553B, Notice 4, retyped into
Microsoft Word available somewhere on the net.  (I have it, just can't remember

where I got it.)  Also, if you can get a copy of MIL-HDBK-1553, grab it.

Official 1553 documentation can be purchased from the Society of Automotive
Engineers (www.sae.org).  The Aeronautical Systems section of SAE is
responsible for 1553 standards development.  The offical standard is AS-11553,
there's a couple of good handbooks (AS-12 and AS-19), and standard test plans
(don't recall the AS numbers).  One of the handbooks (AS-12 or AS-19) is called

"MIL-STD-1553 Reorganized" reorganizes the standard in a more orderly fashion
and provides annotation and reasoning.

Finally, since this is the comp.lang.ada newsgroup after all, you may want to
pick
up a copy of the Ada 1553 driver/bindings from Noetic Software.  The device
driver was written for a DDC 1553 card, but we were able to easily modify it to

run an EDT 1553 card.  The CD from Noetic costs $150 (or $500, can't remember).

                        Hope this helps, Joe Vl