From: Robert Matthews <ignore@ramatthews.free-online.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Problem with Delay Alternative in Finalization
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 20:46:25 +0100
Date: 2012-05-19T20:46:25+01:00	[thread overview]

Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

> On Fri, 18 May 2012 21:30:31 -0500, Tim McGuire wrote:
>
>> I am running in to a problem where a delay alternive used when in
>> finalization doesn't seem to be working properly.
>> The delay part never seems to happen.
>
> It is Program_Error to propagate an exception from Initialize, which is
> what I think happens when you raise Lock_Timeout_Exception.
>
> BTW, you can use task identification in order to allow reentrant locks.

In the 2005 standard at 7.6.1 para 14.a: "It is not a bounded error for
Initialize to propagate an exception. If Initialize propagates an exception,
then no further calls on Initialize are performed, and those components that
have already been initialized (either explicitly or by default) are
finalized in the usual way."

So Program Error is not raised from Initialize - though
on general grounds it may well be best to avoid raising exceptions in
an Initialize.

Robert