From: "Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Ada and MidiShare
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:47:15 GMT
Date: 2003-10-12T14:47:15+00:00	[thread overview]

"aleistad" <sorry@no.spam.wanted> wrote in message
news:3f89641d$3@news.broadpark.no...
> "Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Hi Are (and that friend of yours too :-) welcome aboard.
>
> Thank you!
>
> > I'm also working on a MIDI project using ada so perhaps we can talk you
> and
> > I.
> >
> > Since you have experience in C/C++ I can't help but suggest you go to my
> > website (http://www.adaworld.com), in the "Learning Center" under "Free
> > Books" and grab yourself a copy a copy of the pdf file called Ada
> Distilled
> > which teaches ada to namely C++ programmers.  You might find it
> invaluable.
> > --
> > St�phane Richard
> > "Ada World" Webmaster
> > http://www.adaworld.com
>
> I've already been at your excellent site and picked up Ada Distilled. In
> fact, after my Ada web searches, I have ended up with several tutorials
and
> even a few full books. It is no shortage of learning material on the web
it
> seems. I'll pick up a printed book or two as well; there's no substitute
for
> paper :)

*** True, Ada books aren't that easy to find around here where I live right
now though, so PDF's is what I'm looking for :-).  for now.

> Can you possibly tell a little bit about how you acheive MIDI I/O, and any
> other useful bits for MIDI applications? Do you also deal with sound in
your
> project? What components are you using, and what are your development and
> target platforms?

*** Although I did plan a multiplatform version if the project, I didn't
want to abide to any thick binding or libraries either.  therefore I using
thin binding functions to the Windows API itself so the overhead is as small
as possible.  that would be for windows.  For Linux I was thinkign of ALSA
perhaps but again I fall into a hierarchy of multimedia objects I'm not sure
I want to get into.  so I'm looking for a somwhat thing set of Function
libraries that manage MIDI and digital IO not sure if such a thing exists
for Linux because I believe the low level functions are within independant
drivers/libraries on a per sound card basis.

> Having thought more about it, MidiShare may be a bit of an overkill - it's
> just that i may be the easiest way to get MIDI going (for me). Ideally I'd
> like the simplest of MIDI I/O, again just a buffered raw stream would do,
> and then any extra functionality (a la MidiShare) can be done in Ada.

*** perhaps a bit of an overkill since timing precision is probably better
in Ada itself :-).  other than timing what else is important in music?  at
least as far as MIDI goes.  For digital audio there maybe an advantage but
with tmoran's reply, maybe not :-).

--
St�phane Richard
"Ada World" Webmaster