* Carriage Return without a linefeed on Win95?
@ 1999-08-17  0:00 J. Marshall
From: J. Marshall @ 1999-08-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using the GNAT AdaGIDE v6.21p (from GNAT v3.11) to develop some simple
little apps to run on a Windows 95 platform (and know little of Ada, as I am
still learning).  I've looked through the documentation, but can not locate
the way to output text to the screen starting at a specific location, to
update a particular area of the display.  In C this is fairly easy on a
Windows 95 machine.  Is it possible in Ada?
Thanks very much.
JM

* Re: Carriage Return without a linefeed on Win95?
@ 1999-08-17  0:00 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1999-08-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

J. Marshall <a_revelation@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm using the GNAT AdaGIDE v6.21p (from GNAT v3.11) to develop some simple
> little apps to run on a Windows 95 platform (and know little of Ada, as I
am
> still learning).  I've looked through the documentation, but can not
locate
> the way to output text to the screen starting at a specific location, to
> update a particular area of the display.  In C this is fairly easy on a
> Windows 95 machine.  Is it possible in Ada?
> Thanks very much.
> JM

Yes, it's very possible.  Perhaps the easiest way id to use the capabilities
of
the ANSI.SYS console device driver -- available on DOS and Win9X  (i.e., not
on NT)

The diners program in the gnat examples directory contains a screen package
do just that.

It provides for sounding the bell, clearing the screen, and positioning the
cursor at a specified row and column.

* Re: Carriage Return without a linefeed on Win95?
@ 1999-08-18  0:00   ` J. Marshall
From: J. Marshall @ 1999-08-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks David,
That's perfect for what I need at this point.  I appreciate your time.
JM

@ 1999-08-18  0:00 ` jerry
From: jerry @ 1999-08-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

J. Marshall <a_revelation@hotmail.com> wrote:

: still learning).  I've looked through the documentation, but can not locate
: the way to output text to the screen starting at a specific location, to
: update a particular area of the display.  In C this is fairly easy on a
: Windows 95 machine.  Is it possible in Ada?

If you are thinking in terms of conio, you might want to take a look
at the nt_console package on my homepage.

--
-- Jerry van Dijk  | email: jdijk@acm.org
-- Team Ada        | web:   http://stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk

From: J. Marshall @ 1999-08-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jerry,
Thanks!  That's an excellent package.  Easy to use, small, and it works.  On
Windows PC's, "working" seems to be a feature rather than a requirement,
much too often.  Your package works well.
JM