From: Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca>
Subject: Re: Xnews on Windows 8.1 (32 bit)?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 15:02:25 -0400
Date: 2014-04-17T15:02:25-04:00	[thread overview]

On 2014.04.17, 12:39 , Mike H wrote:
> Having failed to get Demon Turnpike running under Windows 8.1 (32 bit) I
> am looking for a Usenet client that is better than Thunderbird. Xnews
> has been suggested. Will it run under W8 and if not, can anyone suggest
> an alternative?

I don't know if Xnews will run on W8 - but do be aware that it hasn't
been supported in years.  I did use it on occasion (WinXP) when I was
downloading some large files (.rar).  It did that okay.  The UI has a
bit of a learning curve.  It's not a large package IIRC, so worthwhile
to DL and try.

Thunderbird remains my goto usenet client - though I use Unison (Mac) if
I need to DL .rars.  (seldom).

--
"Big data can reduce anything to a single number,
  but you shouldn’t be fooled by the appearance of exactitude."