* ada 2005 from libre
@ 2006-08-20  3:38 Robert Klungle
From: Robert Klungle @ 2006-08-20  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone successfully downloaded and installed the new (relatively)
ada-gpl-2006.. from libre2.adacore? The surrounding verbage says the file
should be (for Windows) an exe file. When the download starts, the file is
labeled as a bin. When trying to run it, I get a window asking what tool to
open it with (notepad, wordpad, etc.). Tried WinZip on it but it doesn't
recognize it either.

Any suggestions???

TKSIA...bob

* Re: ada 2005 from libre
@ 2006-08-20  9:25 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-08-20  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Klungle wrote:

> Has anyone successfully downloaded and installed the new (relatively)
> ada-gpl-2006.. from libre2.adacore? The surrounding verbage says the file
> should be (for Windows) an exe file. When the download starts, the file is
> labeled as a bin. When trying to run it, I get a window asking what tool
> to open it with (notepad, wordpad, etc.). Tried WinZip on it but it
> doesn't recognize it either.
>
> Any suggestions???

Try a different browser ;-)

Seriously:

1) What browser did you use?

2) Did you (A) download just the exe or (B) bundled several files into one
download?

3) If (A): Have you tried to just rename the file to *.exe (Your browser
might have stored it with the wrong extension)

3) If (B): Have you ever heard of the tar archiver? You need one for bundled
downloads (Apart from the fact that the bowser should have used *.tar as
extension in this case).

And yes: the download works with a standart compliant browser and the needed
archiving tools (For windows users I suggest opera [1] and 7zip [2].)

Martin

[1] http://www.opera.com
[2] http://7zip.sf.net
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: ada 2005 from libre
@ 2006-08-20 17:23   ` Robert Klungle
From: Robert Klungle @ 2006-08-20 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Martin Krischik" <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message
> Robert Klungle wrote:
>
>> Has anyone successfully downloaded and installed the new (relatively)
>> ada-gpl-2006.. from libre2.adacore? The surrounding verbage says the file
>> should be (for Windows) an exe file. When the download starts, the file
>> is
>> labeled as a bin. When trying to run it, I get a window asking what tool
>> to open it with (notepad, wordpad, etc.). Tried WinZip on it but it
>> doesn't recognize it either.
>>
>> Any suggestions???
>
> Try a different browser ;-)
>
> Seriously:
>
> 1) What browser did you use?
>
> 2) Did you (A) download just the exe or (B) bundled several files into one
> download?
>
> 3) If (A): Have you tried to just rename the file to *.exe (Your browser
> might have stored it with the wrong extension)
>
> 3) If (B): Have you ever heard of the tar archiver? You need one for
> bundled
> downloads (Apart from the fact that the bowser should have used *.tar as
> extension in this case).
>
> And yes: the download works with a standart compliant browser and the
> needed
> archiving tools (For windows users I suggest opera [1] and 7zip [2].)
>
> Martin
>
> [1] http://www.opera.com
> [2] http://7zip.sf.net
> --
> mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
> Ada programming at: http://ada.krischik.com

Hi Martin,

1) Using Internet Explorer (the only one I have)

2) Tried both (A) and (B). Same result.

3) Tried renaming to .exe and same result (doesn't recognize file type).
Tried downloading both 3 times.

4) Yes. Have tar archiver. Don't get far enough to use it.

5) Will try downloading opera and 7zip. See what happens.

TKS much.

bob

* Re: ada 2005 from libre
@ 2006-08-20 19:46 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2006-08-20 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert Klungle" <bklungle@earthlink.net> writes:

> Has anyone successfully downloaded and installed the new (relatively)
> ada-gpl-2006.. from libre2.adacore? The surrounding verbage says the file
> should be (for Windows) an exe file. When the download starts, the file is
> labeled as a bin.

I downloaded gnat-gpl-2006-1-pentium-mingw32msv-bin.exe on June 17.
That's the file name currently displayed by the download page at
https://libre2.adacore.com/ when x86-windows is selected.

Maybe your browser is stripping the .exe. Use a better browser.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: ada 2005 from libre
@ 2006-08-21  2:16   ` Chip and Allie Orange
From: Chip and Allie Orange @ 2006-08-21  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stephen Leake" <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> wrote in message
> "Robert Klungle" <bklungle@earthlink.net> writes:
>
>> Has anyone successfully downloaded and installed the new (relatively)
>> ada-gpl-2006.. from libre2.adacore? The surrounding verbage says the file
>> should be (for Windows) an exe file. When the download starts, the file
>> is
>> labeled as a bin.
>
> I downloaded gnat-gpl-2006-1-pentium-mingw32msv-bin.exe on June 17.
> That's the file name currently displayed by the download page at
> https://libre2.adacore.com/ when x86-windows is selected.

I think you've just pointed out the problem; I don't think the OP has
selected Windows (it's not the default OS), and you end up with something
other than a .exe when you fail to choose Windows with the OS dropdown list
control.

hth,

Chip

* Re: ada 2005 from libre
@ 2006-08-21  7:34     ` Robert Klungle
From: Robert Klungle @ 2006-08-21  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Actually, I did select windows from the drop-down list, everytime (made
sure).
Also, the sourceforge path to 7zip fails. Did Sourceforge search and it
doesn't show anywhere.
I did download opera. Will try it.

cheers..bob

"Chip and Allie Orange" <acorange@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Stephen Leake" <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> wrote in message
>> "Robert Klungle" <bklungle@earthlink.net> writes:
>>
>>> Has anyone successfully downloaded and installed the new (relatively)
>>> ada-gpl-2006.. from libre2.adacore? The surrounding verbage says the
>>> file
>>> should be (for Windows) an exe file. When the download starts, the file
>>> is
>>> labeled as a bin.
>>
>> I downloaded gnat-gpl-2006-1-pentium-mingw32msv-bin.exe on June 17.
>> That's the file name currently displayed by the download page at
>> https://libre2.adacore.com/ when x86-windows is selected.
>>

> I think you've just pointed out the problem; I don't think the OP has
> selected Windows (it's not the default OS), and you end up with something
> other than a .exe when you fail to choose Windows with the OS dropdown
> list control.
>
> hth,
>
> Chip

* Re: ada 2005 from libre
@ 2006-08-21 11:27     ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 2006-08-21 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert> 1) Using Internet Explorer (the only one I have)

That's not a valid argument. You are downloading GNAT, you might as
well download Firefox first :-)

  http://www.getfirefox.com/

(it's free as in "free beer" and "free speech")

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/

* Re: ada 2005 from libre
@ 2006-08-21 17:14       ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-08-21 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Klungle wrote:

> Actually, I did select windows from the drop-down list, everytime (made
> sure).
> Also, the sourceforge path to 7zip fails. Did Sourceforge search and it
> doesn't show anywhere.

Got the Address wrong (7zip uses there own webserver and not the sourceforge
one):

http://www.7-zip.org/

Martin
--

@ 2006-08-21 17:21   ` Robert Klungle
From: Robert Klungle @ 2006-08-21 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stephen Leake" <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> wrote in message
> "Robert Klungle" <bklungle@earthlink.net> writes:
>
>> Has anyone successfully downloaded and installed the new (relatively)
>> ada-gpl-2006.. from libre2.adacore? The surrounding verbage says the file
>> should be (for Windows) an exe file. When the download starts, the file
>> is
>> labeled as a bin.
>
> I downloaded gnat-gpl-2006-1-pentium-mingw32msv-bin.exe on June 17.
> That's the file name currently displayed by the download page at
> https://libre2.adacore.com/ when x86-windows is selected.
>
> Maybe your browser is stripping the .exe. Use a better browser.
>
> --
> -- Stephen

That is exactly what was happening. In addition, since the download
interface didn't see an extension it interpreted it as "unknown type" and
treated it as text.
Changed the "store" name to "...exe", changed the types to "all files",
continued the download, and it worked.
Appears something wrong with my IE. Checked all options and check boxes and
nothing indicated this should happen.

Have downloaded Firefox and Opera. Will play with both of them.

TKS all.

cheers....bob

* Re: ada 2005 from libre
@ 2006-08-21 21:14         ` Robert Klungle
From: Robert Klungle @ 2006-08-21 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Robert Klungle wrote:
>
>> Actually, I did select windows from the drop-down list, everytime (made
>> sure).
>> Also, the sourceforge path to 7zip fails. Did Sourceforge search and it
>> doesn't show anywhere.
>
> Got the Address wrong (7zip uses there own webserver and not the
> sourceforge
> one):
>
> http://www.7-zip.org/
>
> Martin