* STARS modeling and simulation effort
@ 1991-09-04 15:01 dog.ee.lbl.gov!hellgate.utah.edu!cs.utexas.edu!titan!steve
From: dog.ee.lbl.gov!hellgate.utah.edu!cs.utexas.edu!titan!steve @ 1991-09-04 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have just heard that a modeling and simulation effort of military
systems is underway for the STARS (Software Technology for Adaptable,
Reliable Systems) Foundation.  I am very interested in information on
this work in terms of the:

    - types of systems being modeled
      (e.g., Army C3I, electronic warfare, sonar, etc.)

    - objective or purpose
      (e.g., real-time emulation for operational testing,
             theater level for war gamming, team training,
             engineering analysis, etc.)

    - types of simulators
      (e.g., Advanced Distributed Simulation Technology, Simscript,
             deterministic, stochastic, continuous, graphical-2D-3D,
             "man in the loop", "hardware in the loop",
             microprocessor-based, etc.)

    - simulation and modeling standards
      (e.g., distributed interactive simulation (DIS),
             terrain databases, etc.)

    - organizations involved

    - level of effort, scope of the work and time durations

    - technical descriptions

Any information would be appreciated.  I will post a summary if there
is interest.
--
Steve Glicker
Applied Research Laboratories

* Re: STARS modeling and simulation effort
@ 1991-09-04 16:05 agate!spool.mu.edu!think.com!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!hobbes.physics.uio
From: agate!spool.mu.edu!think.com!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!hobbes.physics.uio @ 1991-09-04 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From article <STEVE.91Sep4100148@xorn.titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu>, by steve@ti
tan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Steve Glicker):
> I have just heard that a modeling and simulation effort of military
> systems is underway for the STARS (Software Technology for Adaptable,
> Reliable Systems) Foundation.

This is news to me, but I'd sure be interested in the results!  I'm
currently involved in a fairly large-scale DoD funded simulation project,
using Ada (not because they required Ada, curiously enough), and it would
be very helpful if there was a good supply of standardized off-the-shelf
simulation and expert-system components available to support the project.

Working with fairly green grad students as my programming staff, on the
other hand, I've found that it is a good training venture to put new
grad students to work writing the kinds of generic packages I ought to be
able to get "off the shelf".

The few pieces of software I've been able to get "off the shelf" have been
of remarkably poor quality -- for example, random number generators with
obsessive (MIL-SPECS?) documentation but poor utility, or obviously built
for one application and difficult to shoehorn into other applications.

				Doug Jones
				jones@cs.uiowa.edu