* Using Ada Extensions
@ 1991-09-13 18:38 Steve Glicker
From: Steve Glicker @ 1991-09-13 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am aware of the requirement for the use of Ada on government
projects however an Ada implementation may provide language
extensions beyond what is specified in the Ada standard.  Is the use
of these extensions limited or prohibited on government projects?  If
so how?  Is there an official document which addresses this?
--
Steve Glicker
Applied Research Laboratories

* Re: Using Ada Extensions
@ 1991-09-13 20:04 sdd.hp.com!elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!freedom.msfc.nasa.gov!robichau
From: sdd.hp.com!elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!freedom.msfc.nasa.gov!robichau @ 1991-09-13 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

steve@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Steve Glicker) writes:

>I am aware of the requirement for the use of Ada on government
>projects however an Ada implementation may provide language
>extensions beyond what is specified in the Ada standard.  Is the use
>of these extensions limited or prohibited on government projects?  If
>so how?  Is there an official document which addresses this?

Nope... the LRM, and AJPO, specify that the Ada language must be used *as
specified*, without supersets or subsets. This rule is enforced vigorously...
on the ALS/N Ada/M compiler that I worked on at Control Data, we had used an
Ada-like PDL to give us machine-readable documentation. AJPO made us request
a waiver, since the documentation was part of the source *but wasn't Ada*.

In practice, you could probably get a waiver, but officially, no extensions.

-Paul
--
Paul Robichaux                  | Disclaimer: I used to write Ada compilers.