From: srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonian)
Subject: Re: Is Ada the Future?
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 1994 17:05:11 GMT
Date: 1994-10-02T17:05:11+00:00	[thread overview]

>  The key to the success of Ada 9X, IMHO, is
>to leverage the work being done in other languages, and not
>try to reinvent the wheel completely.

Brilliant point Tucker.  For example, I know of a product line in the C
world where this strategy can be applied.  This company sells a developing
environment for the 68XXX world that includes:

	- Real Time Executive
	- Windows Cross-Debugger for PC or Sun
	- Optimizing C Compiler
	- Windows Integrated Development Environment
	- TCP/IP, ASYNCH, SDLC, LAPD Communications Support
	- Support for BDM and In-Circuit Emulators
	- Host Kernel Simulation Tools
	- Royalty Free Run-Time Use
	- Attractive price at $8,500 for the Environment

Seems to me , Tucker, that such a embedded programming environment would be
an ideal candidate for being extended from C to also handle Ada, "leveraging
the work being done in other language".  As it is, Ada could use some good
commercial embedded development environments as good as this company's product
sounds.

However, as sound as your idea is, what inducements are there for any company
to make such an investment, especially if it is very uncertain if there will
be an return on their investment?  Everyone in the Mandated world keeps on
forgetting that people in the private sector view participation in any Ada
DualUse movement as an investment expecting a return, and worse, a return
greater than the return if they exist in their current technology lines.

To determine if investing in Ada will provide a greater return than investing
in their existing technology lines is a very tricky calculation, made more
complicated but the lack of any data to extrapolate from (yet one more downside
of DISA's negligence in measuring Ada use anywhere).

I assume that the above referenced company has at least occasionally thought
about extending their product lines with Ada, and each time rejected the
idea as fiscally irresponsible.  If this goes on at many other tool firms,
Ada Dual Use will go nowhere, since it is obvious that the DoD has no interest
in investing in a serious Ada commercialization campaign (i.e. to give the
reputable professionals at DISA as much money as they give the non-Ada lovers
at ARPA - tens and hundreds of millions of dollars).

So Tucker, next time you propose a strategy, GO ASK THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
OF INTERMETRICS WHY THEY DON'T WANT TO INCLUDE ADA IN THIS $8500 C SYSTEM YOU
GUYS ADVERTISE IN THE INSIDE FRONT COVER OF EMBEDDED SYSTEMS PROGRAMMING.

If Intermetrics won't invest in Ada commercial products, why the hell should
anyone else, especially all those who have never received Ada monies from
the DoD?

Greg Aharonian