* Re: 1993 Software Engineering Symposium
@ 1993-05-29  4:26 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1993-05-29  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

>The SEI will host its annual Software Engineering Symposium
>
>       Software Engineering Symposium 1993
>      The Business of Software Engineering:
>                The Competitive Edge

    Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, but when is it the role of an organization
that has never had to earn a dollar in the business world, to host any
symposium that involves business and competition?   For those of us
struggling to earn a $100 here or there with own money, without having
a big trough of tax dollars to live off of, it is insulting for SEI
to be offering this symposium, unless they retitled it:

       How to have a competitive edge using tons of taxpayers dollars.

Geesh, they still haven't apologized for the business nonsense they
contributed to the Mosemann studies of Ada and C++.  If you go, watch
your wallets closely.

Greg Aharonian
 Greg Aharonian
 Source Translation & Optimization
 P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178

* Re: 1993 Software Engineering Symposium
@ 1993-06-01 17:39 Laurence VanDolsen
From: Laurence VanDolsen @ 1993-06-01 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <SRCTRAN.93May28232652@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com (Gregory
 Aharonian) writes:

>>The SEI will host its annual Software Engineering Symposium
>>
>>       Software Engineering Symposium 1993
>>      The Business of Software Engineering:
>>                The Competitive Edge
>
>    Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, but when is it the role of an organization
>that has never had to earn a dollar in the business world, to host any
>symposium that involves business and competition?   For those of us
>struggling to earn a $100 here or there with own money, without having
>a big trough of tax dollars to live off of, it is insulting for SEI
>to be offering this symposium, unless they retitled it:
>
>       How to have a competitive edge using tons of taxpayers dollars.
>
>Geesh, they still haven't apologized for the business nonsense they
>contributed to the Mosemann studies of Ada and C++.  If you go, watch
>your wallets closely.
>
>Greg Aharonian

1.  The 'trough', as you like to call it, is small enough and desirable
enough that it is competed for.  Those who eat often and well have
developed a competitive edge.

2.  Even DoD business is business.