From: world!srctran@uunet.uu.net  (Gregory Aharonian)
Subject: Re: Defending Greg
Date: 18 Jun 93 23:09:53 GMT	[thread overview]

    I have never said everyone government employee is ripping off the
taxpayer.  In fact, if you though about my directory of all of the
government's software, you would realize that I recognize that the
vast majority of government employees do their job as well as can be
done under current conditions.  Why else would I try collecting all of
their software, and try to help other people use these programs.

    At the same, all of these good people allow the waste to go on,
at the expense of many people.  Going to Congress, etc to address these
problems is not the answer.  These are internal problems for which there
are no internal channels to correct.  If they can't be solved within
the Ada community, then the Ada community does not deserve to be able
to spend taxpayer dollars.  We should be self-policing, not self-serving.

   Case in point.  The DoD is now requiring contractors to submit lists
of reusable software in their RFP bids.  Yet the word through the
grapevine is that contractors are submitting lists of little relevance
because they know that no project managers in the DoD can evaluate how
useful or complete such lists are.  Yet for all of this grapevine talk,
nothing is being done publicly or through channels, allwoing new forms
of waste to occur.  This tolerance is more obnoxious than my obviously
childish insults.  But at least I am obvious, while others get plaques.
 Greg Aharonian
 Source Translation & Optimization
 P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178