* Other things Ralph Crafts says
@ 1993-07-10 14:14 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1993-07-10 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

    For all the barbs I receive about being uncongeneal, insulting and
tiresome in my efforts to get the DoD to be serious about its software
engineering policies vis-a-vis Ada, as opposed to Ralph Craft's noble
gentlemenness, here are some of Ralph's comments from an interview that
are more uncongeneal than most of the things I say:

	Government Computer News: 5/10/93, page 14
	In an interview with Ralph Crafts, he states:
	"There's been no continuity, enforcement or explanation
	to the people in the field who are supposed to implement
	the Ada requirement.  I've been with several organizations
	over the last few months, and there's confusion, resentment
	and anger because they get the word one way one month
	and then some high-level person comes in and says, 'Just
	go ahead and do it this way. Ignore the mandate until we
	get caught'."
	"The Ada waiver process is ludicrous.  There are claims by
	the services that they are fully behind Ada, and they have
	granted no waivers or a handful of waivers over the last
	couple of year.  Well, that's a really nice facade because
	people who don't want to use Ada don't bother to go through
	the waiver process.  They go off and do what they want and
	hope they don't get caught until they have so much invested
	in it that they can't be told to stop.  It's interesting
	that people can just ignore the Ada Mandate with impunity,
	and they will go off and require the use of C and C++."

     So when I make claims about internal DoD hypocrisy about Ada, it is
nothing more than a reaffirmation of statements from my favorite DoD Ada
policy basher, Ralph.  For a man who says we should stop laying blame,
these are real blaming statements.
----
     Right now the DoD has absolutely no idea the true feelings inside the
DoD with regards to Ada.  Sure there are strident supporters, strident
detractors, people on the fence, and people not even paying attention.
But until the DoD knows the distribution of support for Ada, guys like
General Paige will be unable to plan out anything to make Ada policies more
successful.  It's like fighting a war without knowing about your enemy or
your enemy's terrain.  And as long as the DoD doesn't do such a study, I
claim it is one more sign that DoD commitment to Ada is contradictory.

 Greg Aharonian
 Source Translation & Optimization
 P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178

* Re: Other things Ralph Crafts says
@ 1993-07-10 17:22 cis.ohio-state.edu!news.sei.cmu.edu!ajpo.sei.cmu.edu!wellerd
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!news.sei.cmu.edu!ajpo.sei.cmu.edu!wellerd @ 1993-07-10 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <SRCTRAN.93Jul10091412@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com (Gregory
 Aharonian) writes:
>[Quotes from GCN made by Ralph Crafts]
>
>     So when I make claims about internal DoD hypocrisy about Ada, it is
>nothing more than a reaffirmation of statements from my favorite DoD Ada
>policy basher, Ralph.  For a man who says we should stop laying blame,
>these are real blaming statements.
>----

I think he'd agree with you on this one :-)

>     Right now the DoD has absolutely no idea the true feelings inside the
>DoD with regards to Ada.  Sure there are strident supporters, strident
>detractors, people on the fence, and people not even paying attention.
>But until the DoD knows the distribution of support for Ada, guys like
>General Paige will be unable to plan out anything to make Ada policies more
>successful.  It's like fighting a war without knowing about your enemy or
>your enemy's terrain.  And as long as the DoD doesn't do such a study, I
>claim it is one more sign that DoD commitment to Ada is contradictory.

So, Ada is kinda like a "Software Vietnam"?  Hmmm.....

--
-Comments above aren't neceessarily the opinion of the SEI, AJPO, or CAE-Link-
David Weller  |  Have you hugged your DRAGOON lately?