From: world!srctran@uunet.uu.net  (Gregory Aharonian)
Subject: Re: Gunslingers
Date: 14 Dec 92 04:07:57 GMT	[thread overview]

Ha!! I love it.  Unfortunately I was watching the same movie, and say a
different story.

First, the general store didn't stock the Winchester Ada.  You had to go
to the taxpayer funded PX at the local fort to find any of the Winchesters.
It seems no one was selling the Winchesters outside of the PXes.

Second, Chester spits in the bucket about the Winchester only when it
involves tax dollars.  After all, Chester put his own money into selling
Winchester parts when the gun first came into town, only to loose his
horse and buggy.

Third, the cavalry standardized on the Winchester just in time for
General Custer to use it at his last battle with the free market Indians.
Custer probably had STARS in his eyes going into battle, and RAPIDly lost.

Fourth, I noticed you conveniently left out Mr. Phipps first name, i.e.,
Mosemann Phipps.  He'll say anything to increase his business. And his
toe counting statistics are probably as inaccurate and unmeaningful as the
Mosemann statistics are.

Fifth, you also forget to mention that the only way Joe could afford to
give his son enough money to buy an expensive Winchester is that Joe is
a government contractor, an issue that Jess Feldman also talks about.

Finally, after the soldier threw Chester into the clock, it cost more tax
dollars to pay for fixing the clock.  Of course no one found out who the
soldier was, they never stick around long enough to take responsibility
for the cost of fixing clocks.  Last I heard, the soldier (I think he was
a sergeant named York) got a job at the Supplies, Arms, Indians and Cowboys
stores that always seem to set up shops outside the forts.

Great flame none the less.

Greg Aharonian
Source Translation & Optimization

Greg Aharonian