* gnat3.01/elf/linux problem
@ 1996-05-14  0:00 Robert Klungle
From: Robert Klungle  @ 1996-05-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

A couple of weeks ago, I and two others posted a note documenting an
execution failure with gnat3.01. The symptom is a message saying "can't
resolve symbol '__libc_opendir'". The program compiles and links
perfectly. It appears that for some reason, either libgnat.so.3.01 (the
dynamic link library) is not being linked into the executable
correctly, or the referenced component is missing. Someone else said
they had the problem, but reloaded libc.a and reran ldconfig to get rid
of the problem. I have reloaded gnat3.01 and gcc2.7.2 and rerun
ldconfig in every order I can think of and nothing fixes the problem.
Tried deleting gnat and gcc from the system and rebuilding in case an
old link was not being rebuilt, to no avail.
Sent a message to the gnat group but no answer or suggestion yet.

Anybody got any idea what to try next (maybe reformat the drive and
rebuild the system from scratch)??

Incidentally, the gcc2.7.2 works perfectly and detects the 2.7.2-specs.

tks...bob klungle

* Re: gnat3.01/elf/linux problem
@ 1996-05-15  0:00 ` Foliard Guillaume
From: Foliard Guillaume @ 1996-05-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Klungle wrote:

> A couple of weeks ago, I and two others posted a note documenting an
> execution failure with gnat3.01. The symptom is a message saying "can't
> resolve symbol '__libc_opendir'".
> (...)
> I have reloaded gnat3.01 and gcc2.7.2 and rerun
> ldconfig in every order I can think of and nothing fixes the problem.
> Tried deleting gnat and gcc from the system and rebuilding in case an
> old link was not being rebuilt, to no avail.

Have you tried to change the libc ? I think GNAT require the GNU libc
5.2.* (I don't remember the last number) or above. When installing it
do not forget to rerun ldconfig and to verify that the links really
point to the new libc (As for me, I've deleted the old ones before
running ldconfig).

> Sent a message to the gnat group but no answer or suggestion yet.
>
> Anybody got any idea what to try next (maybe reformat the drive and
> rebuild the system from scratch)??

Waooo ! I don't think it'll be the right solution ...

Hope this can help.

Guillaume Foliard
dessi9@cict.fr

* Re: gnat3.01/elf/linux problem
@ 1996-05-15  0:00   ` Joerg Rodemann
From: Joerg Rodemann @ 1996-05-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Foliard Guillaume (foliard@avions.aerospatiale.fr) wrote:
> Robert Klungle wrote:
> >
> > A couple of weeks ago, I and two others posted a note documenting an
> > execution failure with gnat3.01. The symptom is a message saying "can't
> > resolve symbol '__libc_opendir'".
> > (...)
> > I have reloaded gnat3.01 and gcc2.7.2 and rerun
> > ldconfig in every order I can think of and nothing fixes the problem.
> > Tried deleting gnat and gcc from the system and rebuilding in case an
> > old link was not being rebuilt, to no avail.

Hello!

I had the same problem a while ago: there are two thing to do:
   1.) upgrade your libc to >5.2.18 and since this libc requires a newer
       kernel than 1.2.13
   2.) Install a kernel > 1.3.40
As far as I followed the linux groups there may be some other dependencies
with very new kernels, so make sure, your combination will work
(E. g. I am using kernel 1.3.49 with libc.5.2.18 and binutils 2.6.0.2 (?).
Oh, there's another problem: before upgrading your libc you should apply
the patch form the libc5.2.18-release notes to your make and recompile that
--- otherwise it won't function any more due to a bug in this program!)

Hope this helps

Greetings

George

--
Joerg 'George' Rodemann                      Erhard-Groezinger-Strasse 82
Department of Physics                                   D-89134 Blaustein

* Re: gnat3.01/elf/linux problem - final
@ 1996-05-15  0:00   ` Robert Klungle
From: Robert Klungle  @ 1996-05-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <31997822.41C67EA6@avions.aerospatiale.fr> Foliard Guillaume
<foliard@avions.aerospatiale.fr> writes:

>Robert Klungle wrote:
>>
>> A couple of weeks ago, I and two others posted a note documenting an
>> execution failure with gnat3.01. The symptom is a message saying
"can't
>> resolve symbol '__libc_opendir'".
>> (...)
>> I have reloaded gnat3.01 and gcc2.7.2 and rerun
>> ldconfig in every order I can think of and nothing fixes the
problem.
>> Tried deleting gnat and gcc from the system and rebuilding in case
an
>> old link was not being rebuilt, to no avail.
>
>Have you tried to change the libc ? I think GNAT require the GNU libc
>5.2.* (I don't remember the last number) or above. When installing it
>do not forget to rerun ldconfig and to verify that the links really
>point to the new libc (As for me, I've deleted the old ones before
>running ldconfig).

Foliard,
You were right. The Walnut Creek GNU Ada CD had libc.5.0.9. No later
libc distributions exist on the disc. Since they are selling the CD as
the current Ada system (3.01), you would think they would have the
right libc. I am going to call them and request they return my money,
apply it on the next release.
I downloaded the libc.5.2.18 from sunsite.unc.edu, untarred it, ran
ldconfig, and the Ada works perfectly.
Again, thanks a lot.
bob

@ 1996-05-16  0:00 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 1996-05-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4ncspb$3go@rigel.rz.uni-ulm.de> rodemann@mathematik.uni-ulm.de (Joerg Rodemann) writes:

> I had the same problem a while ago: there are two thing to do:
>    1.) upgrade your libc to >5.2.18 and since this libc requires a newer
>        kernel than 1.2.13
>    2.) Install a kernel > 1.3.40

I'm running with kernel 1.2.13 and libc 5.2.18 (I did build libc from
source; perhaps the binary version requires a newer kernel).

Standard Slackware 3 binutils.

Had to rebuild make, as you say.

--
Simon Wright                    Work Email: simon.j.wright@gecm.com
Ferranti Naval Systems                     Voice: +44(0)1705-701778