From: csus.edu!wupost!spool.mu.edu!agate!linus!linus!linus!sem@ucdavis.ucdavis. edu  (Stan McQueen)
Subject: Re: Ada statement
Date: 15 Jan 92 17:13:22 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1992Jan15.011557.29353@cs.rose-hulman.edu> eigenstr@susan.cs.rose-h
ulman.edu (Todd R. Eigenschink) writes:
> Thanks for the responses.  All of them seemed to center around the
> same basic things.  I do have one opinion different than that which
> was expressed, about C's "null" statement.  True, a semicolon won't do
> anything if just inserted into code.  However, it is my understanding
> (perhaps I'm wrong, and I don't have my K&R handy to check this) that
> the semicolon is a statement terminator...so C's null statement is
> _really_ null!  (And therefore not necessary.)

Ref. _Standard_C_ by Plauger and Brodie:

"NULL Statement (;):  A null statement does nothing.  You use it where
the translator requires a statement but you do not want to perform an
action."

>  Oh, yeah...and somebody (can't find the post) said something about writing
>  a lot more code in the real world.  Unless I'm mistaken, the average
>  programmer for a government project produces something like 10 lines of
>  code per day.  (Just shows the emphasis on design, I guess. :-> )

Of course, the statistic "10 lines of code per day" doesn't mean that
the average programmer reports for work each day, writes 10 lines of
code, and goes home, his/her hard work day finished.  It means that,
if you divide the total number of lines of code in the finished,
delivered product by the number of worker-days that the project
required (including requirements analysis, design, coding,
integration, and testing) the result should be about 10.  So the
statement that productivity rates are about 10 lines of code per day
per programmer are somewhat misleading, since the figure refers to
more than coding time alone.

sem@mbunix.mitre.org	                              "The right to buy weapons
Stan McQueen                                          is the right to be free."
The MITRE Corporation                                         -- A. E. van Vogt
1259 Lake Plaza Dr.                                 "The Weapon Shops of Isher"
Colorado Springs, CO 80906
719-380-3325