From: "chris.danx" <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com>
Subject: Re: Resources for teaching a child Ada ?
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 00:36:29 +0000
Date: 2002-12-25T00:36:29+00:00	[thread overview]

faust wrote:

> My 12 year old wants to learn Ada
> ( He actually wanted to learn Java or Pascal but I convinced him that
> Ada is superior to both.

I'm saying nothing about Pascal (haven't used a modern variant, still
like TP though), but will say that Java is as good as Ada depending on
what you want to do.  For some things Ada sucks, for some things Java
sucks.  They're not superiour to one another just better at one thing
which the other isn't.  I would agree that Ada is (IMO) a better
teaching language *in this context*, because you don't have to get into
OO early, (java) packages, shallow copying, or stuff like that.  Just my
opinion (no flame war please).

I often think language superiority is 90% personal preference, 9%
problem domain, 1% technical.

> Could anyone recommend a suitable text ?
> (Preferably online. )

No text (though John English's online text is very good - see Adapower
for a link), but something to make it more interesting.  Jewl or
AdaGraph*!  The thing that kept my interest when I was learning to
program (around the same age) was graphics and stuff like that.  Text
input interested me for all of five minutes, then I wanted to do
something fun and playing with the graphics windows in Metacomco Basic
(Atari ST) was it.  After a month of Basic I got a pc with turbo pascal
and the first thing I did was explore graph.tpu and do mad stuff with
circles, lines, squares and what not.  Make graphs of inputs and things
like that.

The tutors at Uni knew that people liked graphics, gui stuff and
exploited it to make it fun.  People hated the text io stuff but the
graphics stuff they did held their interest.  We had a number of
problems to solve which people liked.

One was to navigate a map with square cells and walls to get to the
exit, another to land a rocket on a pad from a (fixed) launch position -
in fact there was a crate of beer for the one who landed it in the
shortest time; probably not a suitable reward for a twelve year old :) -
and the other was planets orbiting the sun (just the earth, then with
the earth and moon, then the same with darksides on the earth and moon -
the darkside of the moon was tricky).

Merry Christmas,
Chris

p.s. AdaGraph -> Jewl might be a good progression.  Adagraph is just
drawing in a window, but Jewl is a (simple) GUI toolkit.  Once your son
had some experience with Ada he might want to explore GUIs and Jewl
would be good for that, it's very easy to work with and doesn't bog you
down with some of the concepts of bigger GUI kits (which is a task in
itself).

*if it's Linux/Unix you'd need to write your own or write a wrapper
round some GtkAda stuff to make it simple enough for a beginner to get
to grips with.

--
for personal replies change spamoff to chris