* Humor fromkipedia
@ 2006-01-20 22:32 faceman28208
From: faceman28208 @ 2006-01-20 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_programming_language

"Ada is a structured, statically typed imperative computer programming
language designed by a team led by Jean Ichbiah of CII Honeywell Bull
during 1977-1983. It addresses many of the same tasks as C or C++,
but with the type-safety of a language like Java. (Some cite Ada as an
influence on Java.) Ada was named after Ada Lovelace, often credited as
the first computer programmer."

Maybe the Ada community should adopt the slogan "Ada: Has the
type-safety of Java" to get people to swith

* Re: Humor fromkipedia
@ 2006-01-21  8:45 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-01-21  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: faceman28208

<verï¿œffentlicht & per Mail versendet>

faceman28208@yahoo.com wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_programming_language
>
> "Ada is a structured, statically typed imperative computer programming
> language designed by a team led by Jean Ichbiah of CII Honeywell Bull
> during 1977-1983. It addresses many of the same tasks as C or C++,
> but with the type-safety of a language like Java. (Some cite Ada as an
> influence on Java.) Ada was named after Ada Lovelace, often credited as
> the first computer programmer."
>
> Maybe the Ada community should adopt the slogan "Ada: Has the
> type-safety of Java" to get people to swith

Read the text again: 1977-1983 - there was no Java at that time. So Ada
could not have taken anything on board from Java.

But you are right: The text should be changed - It's obviously a plug from
the Java comunity to make Java look in a better light as Java's type safety
is a joke - i.E. Java has no distinct integer and real types.

Comparing Java type safety with Ada type safety is a bit like comparing the
crash protection of a BMW C1 Motorbike with a BMW 7 Series Sedan. Both have
a roll-over cage and a seatbelts - sure enough - but only one has dual
front and side airbags, rear side airbags, a Head Protection System,  child
safety locks, Dynamic Stability Control, and side impact protection.

The problem is that most programmers don't even know what good type safety
entails.

If you not a troll after all and really want to know the difference:

  Ada:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Subtypes
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Types
  Java:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Java_Programming/Types

Wow, I never expected such drastic difference. Ada 2 chapters with a total
of 19 pages - Java a mere 9 lines.

Martin

Further Links:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_7_Series
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_C1
   http://www.bmwworld.com/models/concepts/c1.htm
   http://www.bmwworld.com/models/7_series.htm

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: Humor fromkipedia
@ 2006-01-21 22:51   ` Keith Thompson
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Keith Thompson @ 2006-01-21 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
[...]
> But you are right: The text should be changed - It's obviously a plug from
> the Java comunity to make Java look in a better light as Java's type safety
> is a joke - i.E. Java has no distinct integer and real types.

Yes, it does, as you can see from the URL you quoted:

[...]

>   Ada:
>     http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Subtypes
>     http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Types
>   Java:
>     http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Java_Programming/Types

(Oddly, the table for Java types omits int.)

San Diego Supercomputer Center             <*>  <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
We must do something.  This is something.  Therefore, we must do this.

* Re: Humor fromkipedia
@ 2006-01-22  1:57   ` lin8080
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: lin8080 @ 2006-01-22  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik schrieb:

> Read the text again: 1977-1983 - there was no Java at that time. So Ada
> could not have taken anything on board from Java.

In August 1992 the Green-Team present the first program (called Duke)
written in oak (James Gosling) infront of the sun chief Scott McNealy.
Sun chief named the Green-Team First Person. But 1994 this group broke
up. Bill Joy (Gosling, Naughton) made it to Java in 1995.

Oh, my first applet runs with the Oracle-Powerbrowser and JDK 1.02beta

Bye

* Re: Humor fromkipedia
@ 2006-01-23  8:26     ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-01-23  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> But you are right: The text should be changed - It's obviously a plug from
>> the Java comunity to make Java look in a better light as Java's type safety
> >is a joke - i.E. Java has no distinct integer and real types.

> Yes, it does, as you can see from the URL you quoted:

Sorry, there is a "user defined" missing in my sentence. Of course Java
has "predefined" interger and real types.

Martin

* Re: Humor fromkipedia
@ 2006-01-23  9:40   ` Maciej Sobczak
From: Maciej Sobczak @ 2006-01-23  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik wrote:

> If you not a troll after all and really want to know the difference:
>
>   Ada:
>     http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Subtypes
>     http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Types
>   Java:
>     http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Java_Programming/Types
>
> Wow, I never expected such drastic difference. Ada 2 chapters with a total
> of 19 pages - Java a mere 9 lines.

<serious>
These numbers say nothing. You can buy arbitrarily verbose Java book
with the "Types" chapter having arbitrary number of pages, including
introduction, summary, excercises, ... Just comparing wiki chapters is
not meaningful at all.
</serious>

</not-serious>
Actually, I'd say that when it comes to the type system, Java just runs
circles around Ada - just see its int, Integer and IntHolder, which are
not one, but *three* types for the same data concept! ;-)

And there are more Java "types" (programmers) anyway.
</not-serious>

Programming    : http://www.msobczak.com/prog/

* Re: Humor fromkipedia
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-01-23 13:09   ` faceman28208
From: faceman28208 @ 2006-01-23 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

>If you not a troll after all and really want to know the difference:

I knew the difference...that is why I found the comparison so humorous.

* Re: Humor fromkipedia
@ 2006-01-23 18:37     ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-01-23 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciej Sobczak wrote:

> Martin Krischik wrote:
>
>> If you not a troll after all and really want to know the difference:
>>
>>   Ada:
>>     http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Subtypes
>>     http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Types
>>   Java:
>>     http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Java_Programming/Types
>>
>> Wow, I never expected such drastic difference. Ada 2 chapters with a
>> total of 19 pages - Java a mere 9 lines.

> <serious>
> These numbers say nothing. You can buy arbitrarily verbose Java book
> with the "Types" chapter having arbitrary number of pages, including
> introduction, summary, excercises, ... Just comparing wiki chapters is
> not meaningful at all.
> </serious>

These numbers are very telling. You just have to see them on a human level:
The authors of the Java Wikibook thought that a table of 9 lines is all you
ever need to know about Java's type system - at least when it comes to
primitive types.

On the other hand the authors of the Java wikibook thought that the reader
needs to know a lot more...

> </not-serious>
> Actually, I'd say that when it comes to the type system, Java just runs
> circles around Ada - just see its int, Integer and IntHolder, which are
> not one, but *three* types for the same data concept! ;-)
>
> And there are more Java "types" (programmers) anyway.
> </not-serious>

:-)

Martin.
--

@ 2006-01-23 20:07     ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2006-01-23 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciej Sobczak wrote:

> And there are more Java "types" (programmers) anyway.

A clear indication that it is an inferior technology.

--
Jeff Carter
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."

* Re: Humor fromkipedia
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-01-23 22:04   ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2006-01-23 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik wrote:
> But you are right: The text should be changed

So, can we agree on what to write instead? "the type safety of Pascal"?
"a type safety that few other languages can match"? Or maybe something
more general about safety, as it's not just the type system that makes
Ada safer than C++?

--
Bjï¿œrn Persson                              PGP key A88682FD
                    omb jor ers @sv ge.