From: "chris.danx" <chris.danx@ntlworld.com>
Subject: Re: Ada on NT
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 12:33:26 -0000
Date: 2001-11-22T12:33:26+00:00	[thread overview]

"Siegfried Gonzi" <siegfried.gonzi@kfunigraz.ac.at> wrote in message
news:3BFCE549.C6EA47B5@kfunigraz.ac.at...
> I have downloaded (because it is not possible to find a Gnat-Ada for
> SunOS 8) Gnat-Ada for Windows NT, but is this a joke or what should I do
> with this distribution.

???

> Surely, it is free software but if it would be a
> commercial version this would be un-acceptable.

[GNAT public is much better than some commercial software I've used, and ppl
pay thousands for that commercial software]

The public versions of GNAT for Windows are really nice.  Click Click Click
and it's installed.  A few more clicks and your at the manuals, which are in
html (there are other formats in the 'documentation' directory).  It
includes the ARM, the UG & RM for the compiler and help files for GNATCOM
(if you install it) and Win32 to name a few.

> There is even not a Readme included.

No need for readme's as it's all in the manuals!!!

> It is nice that I get the Readmes
> and manuals for the Unix version, but what may I have to do in order to
> play around with the hello world?

Check the user guide for the compiler, hello world is there in all it's
glory.

> There is no Windows specific documentation.

Nonsense!  Check the compiler manuals.  It includes how to build dlls,
interface with them, and a whole load of other things you might want to do
on windows.

> Or do I have to download the
> gcc-compiler separately?

No.  Gcc is part of the distribution.

> Is there a development environment included (I
> do not like Emacs).

Maybe GNAT comes with an IDE on windows, I haven't noticed (maybe you get
one with GNAT Pro but not many hobbiests can afford that), but there is
AdaGIDE which you can get from running a search on google (don't have the
link at hand, sorry).  It's a good tool for many things.

RTFM
Chris