From: "Warren W. Gay VE3WWG" <ve3wwg@cogeco.ca>
Subject: Re: GtkAda Problem
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:55:31 -0400
Date: 2004-07-19T15:55:31-04:00	[thread overview]

Nick Roberts wrote:
> On 18 Jul 2004 12:29:51 +0100, Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> wrote:
>> Unrestricted_Access
> Aha! Thank you, Simon.
>
> It occurs to me that possibly a better approach would be to declare a
> library package which interfaces to some external subsystem (e.g. GTK
> or  Win32) as a generic package (even if it has no generic parameters).
>
> This way, the user can instantiate the package at the appropriate level
> (e.g. immediately in the declarative region of the main subprogram),
> and  then use 'Access on subprograms at this level to provide values
> for  access-to-subprogram types declared in the package (e.g. for
> callbacks).

There is a problem with this: routines in the generic instantiation
do not permit 'Access. I tried this once, and was burned (ouch). I
forget what the rationale behind it was, but I found it extremely
inconvenient! :<

> I'll have a look at my copy of the AARM to see if I can work out
> whether  this would work.

The problem I had was I wanted to use one of the routines within the
generic package as a callback, but that was forbidden by the compiler
('Access was not allowed - I think I even tried Unrestricted_Access,
though I am less certain about that. I just remember that I didn't
arrive at a solution at the time).

A specific code sample would help in this discussion, but I don't have
one at the moment.

> I've just discovered that Windows XP is now displaying the task bar
> 'low'  (so that half of it disappears). It's not the monitor. Amazing.
> Microsoft  seem to have a /genius/ for bugs!

Well, if XP tells me that I have "unused icons" or "new programs were
installed" one more time, I am likely to have a fit.  >8-/

There must be a way to turn those STUPID features off. The unused icons
feature is the stupidest thing I've seen yet.
--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg