From: Marin David Condic <nobody@noplace.com>
Subject: Re: Ada Jobs
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:28:32 GMT
Date: 2005-07-21T12:28:32+00:00	[thread overview]

I'd suggest that generating lots of open source Ada projects is a rather
circuitous route to more Ada jobs. Its rather uncertain that there is
any direct correlation between lines of open source code available in a
language and jobs using that language. At best, that could take a long
time before it had the desired effect.

Much more likely to create Ada jobs is to create and market some kind of
product in which Ada is a factor. If a guy builds a Furby and programs
it in Ada and gets a market going for Furbys, he hires more Ada
programmers. Even if its an "internal product" - something used by your
company in its critical processes - it creates jobs. The point is that
if you have numerous people using some end product that they consider
valuable, they come up with the money to further its development - and
that makes jobs. It doesn't really matter if the product has open source
code or extremely proprietary code. What matters is that it is a
_Product_ that is _Useful_ and for which people will exchange _Money_.
Otherwise, its all just interesting academics that will never produce a
job for anyone.

MDC

steve wrote:
> Only hope for more Ada jobs is to have more open source Ada projects
> start.
>
> This will make Ada become popular again, and will get more people
> interested in it, and eventually this will carry over to commerical
> work.

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: m   o   d   c @ a   m   o   g
                    c   n   i       c   .   r

     "The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has
      been found difficult; and left untried."

         --  G. K. Chesterton