* Why can't i get an EXE!
@ 2002-01-05 23:33 NTL
From: NTL @ 2002-01-05 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Package: QUE PACKAGE

Hi
I am a university student studying computer science's and have to create a
small program as part of my coursework
The program below compiles perfectly and builds in ADAGIDE GNAT3.11,
however, I can not get it to create the .C and .EXE files... am I making
some small fundemental mistake.

any help gladly recievied.

David.

P.s. Complete newbie to ADA programming.

>> BEGIN QUE.ADS

package que is
empty_queue : EXCEPTION;

type queue is array(1..500) of integer;

q : queue;
qs : queue;
tail : integer := 0;
tails : integer := 0;
head : integer := 1;
heads : integer := 1;
count : integer := 0;
n : integer;
A : integer;

procedure initialiser(q: in out queue; head: in out integer; tail: in out
integer);
procedure add(q: in out queue; head: in out integer; tail: in out integer);
procedure remove(q: in out queue; head: in out integer; tail: in out
integer);
procedure show(q: in out queue; head: in out integer; tail: in out integer);

end que;

<<END QUE.ADS

>>BEGIN QUE.ADB

with ada.text_io, ada.integer_text_io;
use ada.text_io, ada.integer_text_io;
with text_io;
use text_io;

package body que is

procedure initialiser(q: in out queue; head: in out integer; tail: in out
integer) is
begin
   tail := 0;
   head := 1;
   for count in head..tail loop
   q(count) := 0;
   end loop;

end initialiser;

procedure add(q: in out queue; head: in out integer; tail: in out integer)
is
begin
   put_line("Please enter an integer ");
   get(n);
   tail := tail+1;
   q(tail) := n;
   --call proc show here
end add;

procedure remove(q: in out queue; head: in out integer; tail: in out
integer) is
begin
   if head < tail then
   --put_line("Queue is currently empty");
   raise EMPTY_QUEUE;
   else
   head := head + 1;
   end if;
   --call proc show here

   exception
   when EMPTY_QUEUE=>
      SKIP_LINE;
      Put_Line("The queue is currently empty");
      NEW_LINE;

end remove;

procedure show(q: in out queue; head: in out integer; tail: in out integer)
is
begin
   if head < tail then
   --put_line("Queue is currently empty");
   raise EMPTY_QUEUE;
   else
   for count in head..tail loop
   put_line(" ");
   end loop;
   end if;

   exception
   when EMPTY_QUEUE=>
      SKIP_LINE;
      Put_Line("The queue is currently empty");
      NEW_LINE;

end show;

begin
   loop
      initialiser(q => qs, head => heads, tail => tails);
      Put_Line("****************************");
      Put_Line("   1). Add to queue");
      Put_Line("   2). remove to queue");
      Put_Line("   3). Quit queue program");
      Put_Line("****************************");
      get(A);
      case A is --Execute menu option depending on A's value
         when 1      => add(q => qs, head => heads, tail => tails);
         when 2      => remove(q => qs, head => heads, tail => tails);
         when 3      => exit;
         when others => Put_Line("Sorry incorrect entry please retry");
      end case;
   end loop;

end que;

<<END QUE.ADB

* Re: Why can't i get an EXE!
@ 2002-01-06  0:52 ` Preben Randhol
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-01-06  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002 23:33:58 -0000, NTL wrote:
> Package: QUE PACKAGE
>
> Hi
> I am a university student studying computer science's and have to create a
> small program as part of my coursework
> The program below compiles perfectly and builds in ADAGIDE GNAT3.11,
> however, I can not get it to create the .C and .EXE files... am I making
> some small fundemental mistake.

Yes you must make a file that contains the main procedure. Move to this
procedure the code you have put in que.adb (see below). You will have to
with and use your que package too.

Check this link : http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/adacraft/

> begin
>    loop
>       initialiser(q => qs, head => heads, tail => tails);
>       Put_Line("****************************");
>       Put_Line("   1). Add to queue");
>       Put_Line("   2). remove to queue");
>       Put_Line("   3). Quit queue program");
>       Put_Line("****************************");
>       get(A);
>       case A is --Execute menu option depending on A's value
>          when 1      => add(q => qs, head => heads, tail => tails);
>          when 2      => remove(q => qs, head => heads, tail => tails);
>          when 3      => exit;
>          when others => Put_Line("Sorry incorrect entry please retry");
>       end case;
>    end loop;

Preben
--
 ()   Join the worldwide campaign to protect fundamental human rights.
'||}

* Re: Why can't i get an EXE!
@ 2002-01-06  2:02   ` Phoenix.
From: Phoenix. @ 2002-01-06  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Preben Randhol" <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote in message
> On Sat, 5 Jan 2002 23:33:58 -0000, NTL wrote:
> > Package: QUE PACKAGE
> >
> > Hi
> > I am a university student studying computer science's and have to create
> > small program as part of my coursework
> > The program below compiles perfectly and builds in ADAGIDE GNAT3.11,
> > however, I can not get it to create the .C and .EXE files... am I making
> > some small fundemental mistake.
>
> Yes you must make a file that contains the main procedure. Move to this
> procedure the code you have put in que.adb (see below). You will have to
> with and use your que package too.

Hi, what has to go into this other file, as i created a file called
main.adb, containing
use que;
and the code below.
however it asks for a main.ads file. and I am unsure what goes in here, as
if i put the procedure declarations, it will not compile.
thanks for the help...

David

> Check this link : http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/adacraft/
>

> > begin
> >    loop
> >       initialiser(q => qs, head => heads, tail => tails);
> >       Put_Line("****************************");
> >       Put_Line("   1). Add to queue");
> >       Put_Line("   2). remove to queue");
> >       Put_Line("   3). Quit queue program");
> >       Put_Line("****************************");
> >       get(A);
> >       case A is --Execute menu option depending on A's value
> >          when 1      => add(q => qs, head => heads, tail => tails);
> >          when 2      => remove(q => qs, head => heads, tail => tails);
> >          when 3      => exit;
> >          when others => Put_Line("Sorry incorrect entry please retry");
> >       end case;
> >    end loop;
>
> Preben
> --
>  ()   Join the worldwide campaign to protect fundamental human rights.
> '||}
> {||'                                           http://www.amnesty.org/

* Re: Why can't i get an EXE!
@ 2002-01-06 12:19     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-01-06 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002 02:02:43 -0000, Phoenix. wrote:

> Hi, what has to go into this other file, as i created a file called
> main.adb, containing
> use que;
> and the code below.
> however it asks for a main.ads file. and I am unsure what goes in here, as
> if i put the procedure declarations, it will not compile.
> thanks for the help...
>
> David

main.adb should look like this: (you do not need main.ads)

with que; use que;
with ada.text_io, ada.integer_text_io;
use ada.text_io, ada.integer_text_io;

procedure main is

begin
   loop
      initialiser(q => qs, head => heads, tail => tails);
      Put_Line("****************************");
      Put_Line("   1). Add to queue");
      Put_Line("   2). remove to queue");
      Put_Line("   3). Quit queue program");
      Put_Line("****************************");
      get(A);
      case A is --Execute menu option depending on A's value
         when 1      => add(q => qs, head => heads, tail => tails);
         when 2      => remove(q => qs, head => heads, tail => tails);
         when 3      => exit;
         when others => Put_Line("Sorry incorrect entry please retry");
      end case;
   end loop;

end main;

Preben
--

@ 2002-01-06 19:45 Phoenix.
From: Phoenix. @ 2002-01-06 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Tankyou very much for your assistance with my program. Your advise has
solved my primary problem. However I appear to have a new problem.
    My program now runs however it doesn't perform it's desired task. Which
is to allow the user to add and remove items from a queue and also to show
what is in the queue. This is where my problem occured when I was trying to
show what is stored within the queue.
    The problem is that as soon as the procedure ends, it appears to clear
what is stored within the que. Therefore I think the problem is that the
variables are not declared globally, and are local to each procedure, and
thus I was wondering how I declare them Globally if that is the problem.
However if it is not the problem I was wondering what the problem is.

 >>BEGIN QUE.ADS

package Que is

Empty_Queue : exception;

type Queue is array(1..500) of Integer;

Q : Queue;

Qs : Queue;

Tail : Integer := 0;

Tails : Integer := 0;

Head : Integer := 1;

Heads : Integer := 1;

Count : Integer := 0;

N : Integer;

A : Integer;

procedure Initialiser(Q: in out Queue; Head: in out Integer; Tail: in out

Integer);

procedure Add(Q: in out Queue; Head: in out Integer; Tail: in out Integer);

procedure Remove(Q: in out Queue; Head: in out Integer; Tail: in out

Integer);

procedure Show(Q: in out Queue; Head: in out Integer; Tail: in out Integer);

end Que;

<<END QUE.ADS

>>BEGIN QUE.ADB

with Ada.Text_Io, Ada.Integer_Text_Io;

use Ada.Text_Io, Ada.Integer_Text_Io;

with Text_Io;

use Text_Io;

package body Que is

procedure Initialiser(Q: in out Queue; Head: in out Integer; Tail: in out

Integer) is

begin

Tail := 0;

Head := 1;

end Initialiser;

procedure Add(Q: in out Queue; Head: in out Integer; Tail: in out Integer)

is

begin

Put_Line("Please enter an integer ");

Get(N);

Tail := Tail+1;

Q(Tail) := N;

-- call proc show here

-- Proc SHOW

for Count in Tail..Head loop

A := Q(Count);

Put(A);

end loop;

-- END PROC SHOW

end Add;

procedure Remove(Q: in out Queue; Head: in out Integer; Tail: in out

Integer) is

begin

if Head < Tail then

--put_line("Queue is currently empty");

raise Empty_Queue;

else

Head := Head + 1;

end if;

--call proc show here

exception

when Empty_Queue=>

Skip_Line;

Put_Line("The queue is currently empty");

New_Line;

end Remove;

procedure Show(Q: in out Queue; Head: in out Integer; Tail: in out Integer)
is

A : integer;

begin

put_line("This is your queue: - ");

if Head > Tail then

--put_line("Queue is currently empty");

raise Empty_Queue;

else

for Count in Head..Tail loop

A := Q(count);

Put(A);

end loop;

end if;

exception

when Empty_Queue =>

Skip_Line;

Put_Line("The queue is currently empty");

New_Line;

end Show;

end Que;

<<END QUE.ADB

>>BEGIN MAIN.ADB

with Que; use Que;

with Ada.Text_Io, Ada.Integer_Text_Io;

use Ada.Text_Io, Ada.Integer_Text_Io;

procedure Main is

begin

loop

Initialiser(Q, Head, Tail);

New_Line;

Put_Line("****************************");

Put_Line(" 1). Add to queue");

Put_Line(" 2). remove to queue");

Put_Line(" 3). Show Queue");

Put_Line(" 4). Quit queue program");

Put_Line("****************************");

New_Line;

Get(A);

case A is --Execute menu option depending on A's value

when 1 => Add(Q, Head, Tail);

when 2 => Remove(Q, Head, Tail);

when 3 => Show(Q, Head, Tail);

when 4 => exit;

when others => Put_Line("Sorry incorrect entry please retry");

end case;

end loop;

end Main;

<<END MAIN.ADB

* Re: Why can't i get an EXE!
@ 2002-01-06 20:12 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-01-06 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002 19:45:02 -0000, Phoenix. wrote:

> procedure Show(Q: in out Queue; Head: in out Integer; Tail: in out Integer)

Do not use "in out" when you are not supposed to change any of the
values in your procedure.

procedure Show(Q: in Queue; Head: in Integer; Tail: in Integer)

--

@ 2002-01-06 22:03   ` Phoenix.
From: Phoenix. @ 2002-01-06 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Sun, 6 Jan 2002 19:45:02 -0000, Phoenix. wrote:
>
> > procedure Show(Q: in out Queue; Head: in out Integer; Tail: in out
Integer)

> Do not use "in out" when you are not supposed to change any of the
> values in your procedure.
>
> procedure Show(Q: in Queue; Head: in Integer; Tail: in Integer)

    Thankyou duely noted and corrected. However I am still having the same
problem. In the sence that once the procedure is finished the queue variable
is reset.
> --
>  ()   Join the worldwide campaign to protect fundamental human rights.
> '||}
> {||'                                           http://www.amnesty.org/

* Re: Why can't i get an EXE!
@ 2002-01-07 11:06 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-01-07 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002 23:33:58 -0000, NTL wrote:
> Package: QUE PACKAGE
>
> Hi
> I am a university student studying computer science's and have to create a
> small program as part of my coursework
> The program below compiles perfectly and builds in ADAGIDE GNAT3.11,
> however, I can not get it to create the .C and .EXE files... am I making
> some small fundemental mistake.
>
> any help gladly recievied.
>
> David.
>
> P.s. Complete newbie to ADA programming.
>

>>> BEGIN QUE.ADS
>
> package que is
> empty_queue : EXCEPTION;
>
> type queue is array(1..500) of integer;
>
> q : queue;
> tail : integer := 0;
> head : integer := 1;
> count : integer := 0;

Remove the 4 lines above. You don't need them.

> qs : queue;
> tails : integer := 0;
> heads : integer := 1;

> n : integer;

Move line above to add procedure.

> A : integer;

Move line above to main procedure.

> procedure initialiser(q: in out queue; head: in out integer; tail: in out
> integer);
> procedure add(q: in out queue; head: in out integer; tail: in out integer);
> procedure remove(q: in out queue; head: in out integer; tail: in out
> integer);
> procedure show(q: in out queue; head: in out integer; tail: in out integer);

replace "in out" with "in" in the 1 line above.

> procedure remove(q: in out queue; head: in out integer; tail: in out
> integer) is
> begin
>    if head < tail then

This must be wrong?

>    --put_line("Queue is currently empty");
>    raise EMPTY_QUEUE;
>    else
>    head := head + 1;

Why do you do this?

> procedure show(q: in out queue; head: in out integer; tail: in out integer)
> is
> begin
>    if head < tail then

This must be wrong?

> begin
>    loop
>       initialiser(q => qs, head => heads, tail => tails);

When you put the initialiser inside the loop it will be called each time
and thus reset your queue. Move it outside the loop.

Preben
--

@ 2002-01-07 21:52 ` Liddle Feesh
From: Liddle Feesh @ 2002-01-07 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

"NTL" wrote:win.server.ntlworld.com...
> Package: QUE PACKAGE
>
> Hi
> I am a university student studying computer science's and have to create a
> small program as part of my coursework
> The program below compiles perfectly and builds in ADAGIDE GNAT3.11,
> however, I can not get it to create the .C and .EXE files... am I making
> some small fundemental mistake.

Yes. You have left doing your homework till the very last minute. It is due
in tomorrow - and by the looks of things, you are in a lot of trouble!

> any help gladly recievied.
>
> David.
>
> P.s. Complete newbie to ADA programming.

That's because you haven't been to any lectures ;)

*Note to regulars: This isn't a flame. David should know what I'm talking
about.

--
Liddle Feesh
 '  O 0 o <"//><  ' o'^

* Re: Why can't i get an EXE!
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-01-07 21:59 ` Liddle Feesh
From: Liddle Feesh @ 2002-01-07 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

"NTL" wrote:
> >> BEGIN QUE.ADS
>
> package que is
> empty_queue : EXCEPTION;
>
> type queue is array(1..500) of integer;

Array 1..500? Big time efficiency waste !!!

You have to incorporate this using linked lists.

Okay. In reference to Real Time Programming - you have to justify these
changes to the master spec.

> <<END QUE.ADS
>
> >>BEGIN QUE.ADB
>
> with ada.text_io, ada.integer_text_io;
> use ada.text_io, ada.integer_text_io;
> with text_io;
> use text_io;

^^^ Big inconsistancy

> package body que is
>

> procedure initialiser(q: in out queue; head: in out integer; tail: in out
> integer) is
> begin
>    tail := 0;
>    head := 1;
>    for count in head..tail loop
>    q(count) := 0;
>    end loop;
>
> end initialiser;
>
> procedure add(q: in out queue; head: in out integer; tail: in out integer)
> is
> begin
>    put_line("Please enter an integer ");
>    get(n);
>    tail := tail+1;
>    q(tail) := n;
>    --call proc show here
> end add;
>
> procedure remove(q: in out queue; head: in out integer; tail: in out
> integer) is
> begin
>    if head < tail then
>    --put_line("Queue is currently empty");
>    raise EMPTY_QUEUE;
>    else
>    head := head + 1;
>    end if;
>    --call proc show here

You have implemented this using an array. The node should contain a pointer
of type link which points to the base value of the next node. Geddit?

>    exception
>    when EMPTY_QUEUE=>
>       SKIP_LINE;
>       Put_Line("The queue is currently empty");
>       NEW_LINE;
>
> end remove;
>
> procedure show(q: in out queue; head: in out integer; tail: in out
integer)
> is
> begin
>    if head < tail then
>    --put_line("Queue is currently empty");
>    raise EMPTY_QUEUE;
>    else
>    for count in head..tail loop
>    put_line(" ");
>    end loop;
>    end if;

>    exception
>    when EMPTY_QUEUE=>
>       SKIP_LINE;
>       Put_Line("The queue is currently empty");
>       NEW_LINE;
>
> end show;
>

> begin
>    loop
>       initialiser(q => qs, head => heads, tail => tails);
>       Put_Line("****************************");
>       Put_Line("   1). Add to queue");
>       Put_Line("   2). remove to queue");
>       Put_Line("   3). Quit queue program");
>       Put_Line("****************************");
>       get(A);
>       case A is --Execute menu option depending on A's value
>          when 1      => add(q => qs, head => heads, tail => tails);
>          when 2      => remove(q => qs, head => heads, tail => tails);
>          when 3      => exit;
>          when others => Put_Line("Sorry incorrect entry please retry");
>       end case;
>    end loop;
>

> end que;
>
> <<END QUE.ADB

Also - you have to:

Present a Package Spec
Present a Package Body
Present a Test Harness

Okay? So name your package body and spec the same (bar the extension), then
create a main body and include the other files in this body. Put your main
menu in there.

c u,

--
Liddle Feesh
 '  O 0 o <"//><  ' o'^

* Re: Why can't i get an EXE!
@ 2002-01-08 13:14   ` Phoenix.
From: Phoenix. @ 2002-01-08 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Liddle Feesh" <no_see_reply_address@spam.com> wrote in message
> "NTL" wrote:win.server.ntlworld.com...
> > Package: QUE PACKAGE
> >
> > Hi
> > I am a university student studying computer science's and have to create
> > small program as part of my coursework
> > The program below compiles perfectly and builds in ADAGIDE GNAT3.11,
> > however, I can not get it to create the .C and .EXE files... am I making
> > some small fundemental mistake.
>
> Yes. You have left doing your homework till the very last minute. It is
due
> in tomorrow - and by the looks of things, you are in a lot of trouble!
>

> > any help gladly recievied.
> >
> > David.
> >
> > P.s. Complete newbie to ADA programming.
>
> That's because you haven't been to any lectures ;)
>

> *Note to regulars: This isn't a flame. David should know what I'm talking
> about.

    actually I've been to all but one lecture and I think you've only turned
up for two. But you didn't really miss much.

P.S

    DON'T LIE. If you don't turn up don't assume that someone else hasn't.
And I actually started this back on the 19th Dec I just had a couple of
probs with my version and I've already spoken to the lecture to check to see
if my alternative approach is acceptable. Oh yeah where were you for todays
lecture by the way???

> --
> Liddle Feesh
>  '  O 0 o <"//><  ' o'^
> (Remove UNDERPANTS to reply)

* Re: Why can't i get an EXE!
@ 2002-01-08 13:31     ` Phoenix.
From: Phoenix. @ 2002-01-08 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to appologise to the group for the last two emails sent from me
and my degree collegue.

    your sincerly
        Dave

* Re: Why can't i get an EXE!
@ 2002-01-08 13:52     ` Liddle Feesh
From: Liddle Feesh @ 2002-01-08 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Phoenix." wrote:

> > *Note to regulars: This isn't a flame. David should know what I'm
talking
> > about.
>

>     actually I've been to all but one lecture and I think you've only
turned
> up for two. But you didn't really miss much.

David. I've only ever missed two lectures. Tuesday 5th November, and Today.

> P.S
>
>     DON'T LIE. If you don't turn up don't assume that someone else hasn't.

Jeez man - calm down! Have you got out of the wrong side of the bed or
something this morning?

> And I actually started this back on the 19th Dec I just had a couple of
> probs with my version and I've already spoken to the lecture to check to
see
> if my alternative approach is acceptable. Oh yeah where were you for
todays
> lecture by the way???

Whenever you started it is irrelevant! I'm just joking with you!

You will find that I've posted you a very informative post further down the
thread hierarchy.

--
Liddle Feesh
 '  O 0 o <"//><  ' o'^

* Re: Why can't i get an EXE!
@ 2002-01-08 13:55       ` Liddle Feesh
From: Liddle Feesh @ 2002-01-08 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Phoenix." wrote:
> I would like to appologise to the group for the last two emails sent from
me
> and my degree collegue.

:)

No need to apologise on my behalf, the group know what I'm like from my
posts. By the way, I haven't sent any emails.

Just chill, dude. Relax and don't get so wound up!

--
Liddle Feesh