From: Caffeine Junky <nospam@hotmail.com>
Subject: Creating really small binaries?
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 06:53:36 GMT
Date: 2002-06-18T06:53:36+00:00	[thread overview]

I'm looking for tips on how to make my executables really tiny.

More specifically I'm interested in keeping the memory used by the
running executable really small.
I realize that much of it is determined by the compiler being used(GNAT,
Aonix, Green Hills, etc...) and the platform(using Linux 2.4 here). A
small executable on disk would be a nice bonus, but not particularly
important.
Since Ada has shown itself to be excellent for embedded systems, which
normally have much less RAM(if any at all) than the standard PC, I'm sure
that this is not much of a problem.

Now, I dont plan on linking to any shared C libs at first.(except of
course glibc which is usually used by default with GNAT on Linux
systems).

The only problem I forsee is when it comes time to do GUI work, which has
an unfortunate tendency to bloat things. I hope to overcome this by
creating a limited interface directly to XLib.

Of course there are all the standard tools such as -O2 and strip.

Any suggestions on where I should begin?